PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead does NOT fuck around.

Brewtown Andy
05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Just popped in the 2004 DotD from Netflix.

7 minutes in and already Sarah Polley's all OH FUCK, ZOMBIES!

Awesome.

joeAR
05-07-2005, 10:33 AM
yeah sorry to dissapoint but it's all downhill from there, at least in my opinion

stevapalooza
05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
It was pretty good as far as remakes go. But I miss the cheesy creepiness of the original.

HoneyDippinDan
05-07-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a strong dislike for horror movies, but I really enjoyed Dawn of the Dead. It had a good mix of action and humor.

Brian Defferding
05-07-2005, 10:38 AM
LOVED this movie. It's fucking excellent.

Movie Maker
05-07-2005, 10:58 AM
movie fuckin rocked.

Ray G.
05-07-2005, 11:01 AM
When you have Zombies, it's really hard to fuck it up. But then, that didn't stop the producers of Resident Evil and House of the Dead.

THWIP!
05-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Fucking great zombie flick.

Plan 9
05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Ving Rhames is probably the next best thing to Mr. T.

Opus Croakus
05-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Great movie... well, at least it's as great as any zombie movie can be. :)

Randomus
05-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Good thriller/cheap scream movie, terrible zombie movie.

Plan 9
05-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I liked 28 Days Later a little better but that's technically not a zombie movie I don't think.

Brewtown Andy
05-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I liked 28 Days Later a little better but that's technically not a zombie movie I don't think.I think it is. Although my wife just now: "It almost had too much plot, y'know?"

Randomus
05-07-2005, 11:19 AM
A zombie movie is like a game of chess. 28 Days Later was an awesome movie, but not really a zombie movie.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-07-2005, 11:31 AM
when i went and saw this movie, it must have been dead-beat dad's day with the kids day because the place was packed with 5 year old kids and their idiot fathers

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Get ready for me to be all elitist n'shit.

It's a mind-numbingly stupid movie, which is perfect for an audience with lowered expectations. I hated the shit out of it, but I am not surprised that people liked it. People seem to love action movies with stupid characters, bad, bad plot turns and awfully shot action sequences. Shaun of the Dead was a better zombie movie in it's serious last half hour, than this was in it's serious full two.

Brewtown Andy
05-07-2005, 02:45 PM
yeah sorry to dissapoint but it's all downhill from there, at least in my opinionYou're actually right. It did go downhill.

changingshades
05-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Probably my favorite remake ever

Thudpucker
05-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Fast Zombies kick ass, I loved the remake! :D

Randomus
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Shaun of the Dead was a zombie movie. A damn good zombie movie. :)

Thudpucker
05-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Shaun of the Dead was a zombie movie. A damn good zombie movie. :)

Yes, and 28 Days later too. All 3 of them are well worth seeing.

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
28 Days Later wasn't a zombie movie. Those guys had a virus, they weren't the living dead. :)

You Killed Hawkeye
05-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Why was Ving Rhames playing Art Jones?

Thudpucker
05-07-2005, 04:34 PM
28 Days Later wasn't a zombie movie. Those guys had a virus, they weren't the living dead. :)

They walked like ducks and quacked like ducks - they're ducks.

Howlett
05-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I didn't think I'd enjoy Dawn of the Dead but I really did. The little zombie girl at the start was fuckin' creepy.

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 04:36 PM
They walked like ducks and quacked like ducks - they're ducks.
They didn't walk like zombies - they ran like crazy, jumped around... not really dead-like behavior. They didn't quack like zombies - their hissing and screaming doesn't seem zombie-like to me, when you see the history of zombie moaning and such. Thus - not zombies. Though, if you want to argue they are ducks, I'll let you have that one.

Thudpucker
05-07-2005, 04:37 PM
They didn't walk like zombies - they ran like crazy, jumped around... not really dead-like behavior. They didn't quack like zombies - their hissing and screaming doesn't seem zombie-like to me, when you see the history of zombie moaning and such. Thus - not zombies. Though, if you want to argue they are ducks, I'll let you have that one.

Fast Zombies, not slow ones.

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Zombies aren't fast. The Dawn of the Dead remake was stupid. The fear of zombies wasn't a physical one - it wasn't that zombies were too fast, or too strong to fight away - but rather the sheer numbers and mindless primal nature. What made them unique was that one or two wasn't really a large threat. You had a pistol, you could take them down. You underestimate them based on their weakness. Also, they appeared to be human - if you walked by one on the street, you'd never know until you were in range, and then you were dead. The whole population would become susceptible to this. It'd be a monster invasion you'd never see. The slow, creeping death. So gradual you don't even know it's there. The maddening, super-fast, super-agile "zombies" are ridiculous. They don't appear to be the animated dead, you couldn't ever mistake them for human beings, and your hero characters are less likely to underestimate them, and put themselves into immense amounts of danger. It robs zombie movies of the original nature of the threat and turns it into a second rate "aliens".

28 Days Later uses many of the same conventions as a zombie movie, but establishes it's monster as something different from a zombie. The physical prowess of the 28 Days Later monster and the Dawn of the Dead "zombie" is closer to a vampire than a zombie.

The Human Target
05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Thats why I like 28 Days Later so much. Its a movie about people and human nature that happens to have zombies in it. Like the Walking Dead.

Technofears Uncle
05-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Zombies aren't fast. The Dawn of the Dead remake was stupid. The fear of zombies wasn't a physical one - it wasn't that zombies were too fast, or too strong to fight away - but rather the sheer numbers and mindless primal nature. What made them unique was that one or two wasn't really a large threat. You had a pistol, you could take them down. You underestimate them based on their weakness. Also, they appeared to be human - if you walked by one on the street, you'd never know until you were in range, and then you were dead. The whole population would become susceptible to this. It'd be a monster invasion you'd never see. The slow, creeping death. So gradual you don't even know it's there. The maddening, super-fast, super-agile "zombies" are ridiculous. They don't appear to be the animated dead, you couldn't ever mistake them for human beings, and your hero characters are less likely to underestimate them, and put themselves into immense amounts of danger. It robs zombie movies of the original nature of the threat and turns it into a second rate "aliens".

28 Days Later uses many of the same conventions as a zombie movie, but establishes it's monster as something different from a zombie. The physical prowess of the 28 Days Later monster and the Dawn of the Dead "zombie" is closer to a vampire than a zombie.

Thats a well constructed and highly articulate outburst. And I completely agree. All that the remake needed was NINJA zombies and then it would have been perfect.

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Thats a well constructed and highly articulate outburst. And I completely agree. All that the remake needed was NINJA zombies and then it would have been perfect.
Should we consider this thread... B0R1S0WN3D?

Randomus
05-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Exactly, Boris. Like I said, a good zombie movie is like a game of chess-- it's all about outmaneuvering them, one step at a time. Not running around and driving a tank.

I did like it as a movie, just not as Dawn of the Dead.

Thudpucker
05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I like fast Zombies

Rick_O
05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I really liked this movie.

Mr. Nobody
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
When i saw this there were only two other people in the whole theatre besides me, it made for kind for of a weird experience. Did anyone else half-expect to step outside to see wide spread carnage erupting in the streets, right after seeing this movie?

alexlannin
05-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I liked it.

Piechuck
05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I like fast Zombies

me too

Opus Croakus
05-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Fast zombie? Meh.
Slow zombie? Shrug.

This is the zombie for me:
http://www.e-drinks.com.pl/images/drinki/Swiatdrinkow/zombie.jpg

Boris the Blade
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Fast zombie? Meh.
Slow zombie? Shrug.

http://www.e-drinks.com.pl/images/drinki/Swiatdrinkow/zombie.jpg
I'll drink to that.

Then again, I'll drink to pretty much anything.

Brewtown Andy
05-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Fast zombie? Meh.
Slow zombie? Shrug.

http://www.e-drinks.com.pl/images/drinki/Swiatdrinkow/zombie.jpgWhat does one put in something like that?

TheKraken
05-08-2005, 02:13 AM

The first zombie on screen in the original B&W Night of the Living Dead ran faster than I can. Deal with it. The only criteria for being termed a zombie is being dead and still moving. Hell, prior to George Romero, "zombie" was either the name of an obscure African god or the undead slave of a voodoo practitioner who could regain his personality by eating salt. Things change.

Boris the Blade
05-08-2005, 06:24 AM
The first zombie on screen in the original B&W Night of the Living Dead ran faster than I can. Deal with it. The only criteria for being termed a zombie is being dead and still moving. Hell, prior to George Romero, "zombie" was either the name of an obscure African god or the undead slave of a voodoo practitioner who could regain his personality by eating salt. Things change.
He didn't run any faster than that hysterical screaming girl.

DaGetHighKnight
05-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Good movie. But I prefer the Orginal ..And Dewy ..You run slow dude. :)

Bill?
05-08-2005, 07:03 AM
ZOMBIES SHOULDNT BE FAST! :mad:

Keith P.
05-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I liked it.

I seriously don't get the "OMG FAST ZOMBIES SUCK!" people.

I'm pretty sure there is room enough in the world for various interpretations of the zombie genre. Its like your zombie facists or something.

I mean, who wants every single movie monster of in a certain "breed" to be EXACTLY alike? How many variations of the vampire have we seen. The shambling undead vampire, the traditional Dracula vampire, the bio-vampire, etc..etc..

People are way, way too locked into what their own little mindset of what they think is the correct way to do things without considering that other people may want something new or re-imagined.

joeAR
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
You're actually right. It did go downhill.

Holy shit! Hell froze over, somebody actually agreed with me about this movie :D

Randomus
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Fast zombies don't make sense, is what it boils down to. It's an animated corpse. An animated corpse isn't going to be running, setting traps and climbing shit.

Keith P.
05-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Fast zombies don't make sense, is what it boils down to. It's an animated corpse. An animated corpse isn't going to be running, setting traps and climbing shit.

CORPSES DO NOT WALK AROUND EATING PEOPLE!

Rick_O
05-09-2005, 07:43 AM

Yes they do. They're called SUPERMODELS.

Randomus
05-09-2005, 07:44 AM

Sure they do. They require the flesh of the living. So they eat people.

Keith P.
Yes they do. They're called SUPERMODELS.

They don't eat at all.

joeAR
They don't eat at all.

They do. They just throw it right back up

Keith P.
05-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Sure they do. They require the flesh of the living. So they eat people.

*sigh*

Piechuck
05-09-2005, 07:48 AM
I liked it.

I seriously don't get the "OMG FAST ZOMBIES SUCK!" people.

I'm pretty sure there is room enough in the world for various interpretations of the zombie genre. Its like your zombie facists or something.

I mean, who wants every single movie monster of in a certain "breed" to be EXACTLY alike? How many variations of the vampire have we seen. The shambling undead vampire, the traditional Dracula vampire, the bio-vampire, etc..etc..

People are way, way too locked into what their own little mindset of what they think is the correct way to do things without considering that other people may want something new or re-imagined.

I agree with this

Tyeron
i watched it and realized i wasn't prepared for the Zombie holocaust.. so all you fuckers out there .. get a plan together or GOD HELP YOU
GOD HELP YOU ALL!!!! poor sons a bitches

Opus Croakus
I think we need a more PC zombie movie. Perhaps one in which the living dead eat a tasty green salad or something. Wouldn't that be a lot nicer?

DaGetHighKnight
05-09-2005, 07:49 AM

I chucked on Night of the Living Dead last night to see how fast that first Zombie was running. He really didnt run as fast as the chick at all Dewey!! If anything he was stumbling downhill after her and that seems to give him some speed... The thing I noticed is when she runs into the car to shield herself from the zombie He looks around ,Picks up a rock and breaks the window. Now that's way more thinking than most Zombies do in that movie and all his other Zombie flicks...

Doug
05-09-2005, 07:49 AM

Best argument for slow zombies that I've read so far. I applaud you Good Sir Boris. Bravo!

Randomus
05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
I think we need a more PC zombie movie. Perhaps one in which the living dead eat a tasty green salad or something. Wouldn't that be a lot nicer?

GRAINS!

Tyeron
05-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Best argument for slow zombies that I've read so far. I applaud you Good Sir Boris. Bravo!

blah

why couldn't a fresh corpse run fast?
i rarely ever see a zombie that i would mistake for someone else.. i mean the way the walk, the fact that they are missing an arm or standing on their broken ankle.. the only time they use that ruse to make them think a person might be a zombie or human was just when it was a hero or someone that was a well known character.. but that was it.. those running zombies are just that ZOMBIES.. hell the return of the living dead zombies ran and they were waaaay harder to destroy than these Dawn Zombies.. and those were the one's that just ate brains.. there's sooo many other zombie types out there.. so lets just say you don't like that kind of zombie cause i mean we got voodoo zombie, brain eating zombie, alien creature reanimates, cthulhu creature reanimates, re-animator zombies, the list goes on.....

just like there's different vampires, different werewolves, different interpretations of everything....
but truthfully i don't see any reason why a fresh zombie couldn't run till it falls apart, since all the natural controls have been turned off.. think of a guy who is dusted to the eyeballs on PCP and that's what i would think these zombies would be like.. willing to snap their own limbs to break through a door or smash through a window to get to a person.. if they had any ounce of strength they would bang against it till they got through.. when they start to rot more.. well then they get slower.. but i don't think slow zombies would spread as quickly as running zombies would.. unless it was some kind of plague.. i mean we could clean up the slow moving zombies.. we see that in lots of movies including night of the living dead...

RUNNING ZOMBIES ALL THE WAY!!

madmartigan
05-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Read this, it will save your life:
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers_450/1-4000-4962-8.jpg

Randomus
05-09-2005, 08:14 AM
I love that book.

My friends and I have about 10 plans and contingencies in case of zombie invasion. And yes, we've factored in running zombies just in case whoever starts the invasion is lame.

Tyeron
05-09-2005, 08:21 AM
WHere are most of you guys congregating if the zombies attack?

friends house? mall? some other place of business? i'm pretty sure governement and emergency facilities will be right out..

i believe my groups going to meet at a central house in austin.. hopefully we can get there.. and if someone can't make it.. then we have these long range walkie talkies that should hopefully give us enough range to get information about wether we can get them or if they are just going to need some time...

ya know the government has a plans incase aliens land.. wonder if they have one for zombie attack

moonspider
05-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Ving Rhames is probably the next best thing to Mr. T.

i'm surprised they havent made an A-team flick with him in that role

joeAR
05-09-2005, 08:30 AM
i'm surprised they havent made an A-team flick with him in that role

Nobody can replace Mr.T

moonspider
05-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Nobody can replace Mr.T

him and those sexy shorts

gotta love yo' mamma

Bill!
05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
When you have Zombies, it's really hard to fuck it up. But then, that didn't stop the producers of Resident Evil and House of the Dead.

Dude. Resident Evil was better than Dawn of the Dead remake. In almost every way.

Keith P.
05-09-2005, 10:09 AM
House of the Dead was one of the worst zombie movies ever.

And I say this as a person who owns the Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things DVD.

Bill!
05-09-2005, 10:13 AM
House of the Dead was one of the worst zombie movies ever.

And I say this as a person who owns the Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things DVD.

Hehe. I think I have you beat. I have the VHS tape of Raiders of the Living Dead. Ever heard of that one? It might possibly be the biggest piece of shit ever.

Keith P.
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Hehe. I think I have you beat. I have the VHS tape of Raiders of the Living Dead. Ever heard of that one? It might possibly be the biggest piece of shit ever.

Is that the one with the raygun?

Bill!
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Is that the one with the raygun?

Yeah. It looks to me like someone just drew pencil on the film to make it look like it shoots lasers.

WinterRose
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Actually I liked the Romero Remake of "Night of the Living Dead". And I goddam HATE Zombie movies. Patricia Tallman ROCKED!

Bill!
05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Actually I liked the Romero Remake of "Night of the Living Dead". And I goddam HATE Zombie movies. Patricia Tallman ROCKED!

That remake was actually pretty good. But for two reasons, Romero wrote the screenplay for it (not just the original, but the remake as well), and Tom Savini directed it.