PDA

View Full Version : Has HBO become the 'Star Wars' network?

Patrick J
02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
For those of you that have HBO, it seems that some kind of Star Wars movie has been on every day around 4 or 5 for the past two weeks.

Fuck the haters, the original trilogy of movies are damn good still, all of 'em.

Petey Parker
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
For those of you that have HBO, it seems that some kind of Star Wars movie has been on every day around 4 or 5 for the past two weeks.

Fuck the haters, the original trilogy of movies are damn good still, all of 'em.

They do seem to be showing them a lot. Serenity and Fantastic Four have been on a lot too.

IV is on now, II was on before that, I was on HBO Family at the same time as II.

On Oscar day they showed all 6 episodes back to back on HBO Z

Patrick J
02-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'm watching IV right now myself. Some people say it doesn't hold up anymore. I respectfully disagree.

jdklann
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM

There's actually a debat about this? I thought it was generally accepted that the original( IV-VI) were superior to the Episodes I-III. Fuck... kids these days, all special effects and no substance.....

Boris the Blade
02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I keep hearing from people around my age that the old Star Wars trilogy is unwatchable because the effects and technology are so lame.

Dear god. These are the same people who watch dubs of foreign films because they don't want to do any readin'.

ZombieSpeedball
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Dude, during the morning, too, around nine or so, I forget. A lot of Star Wars they show.

indecKs
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I keep hearing from people around my age that the old Star Wars trilogy is unwatchable because the effects and technology are so lame.

Dear god. These are the same people who watch dubs of foreign films because they don't want to do any readin'.

Agreed 200%. I prefer the originals, yes but I actually like II and III. Episode I was atrocious, I hated II until I saw it a couple of times and it grew on me, and I liked III outright.

What I think Lucas could have done was do sort of a quick recap of the events of Episode I almost like a flashback and roll it into Episode II, making II actually I. We didn't REALLY have to see the 20 minute podrace etc. Then use the "Clone Wars" cartoons that were masterfully done as Episode II, and then use Revenge of the Sith as it was. That would have been a great prequel trilogy.

Vonn Hennigar
02-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Huh?

A New Hop does look a bit dated i'll admit but Empire and Jedi still look better than most films do today.

I still have yet to see a space battle even come close to Return Of The Jedis.

Battlestar Galactica's space battles are the only ones that seem to even try to emulate that kind of scope.

stevapalooza
02-28-2007, 04:14 PM
The new trilogy sucks because Lucas failed to come up with an interesting backstory for Vader and the empire, plain and simple. The creation of the empire should've begun in episode one (with Anakin already a grown Jedi), and it should've involved an actual war. Not a lot of scheming and plotting and preliminary nonsense that drones on boringly for two movies. Just the way the trilogy is structed is awful. It's unfocused and meandering. Lucas should've just swallowed his pride and brought in lots of real writers.

changingshades
02-28-2007, 04:18 PM
yeah, I'm watching New Hope right now. That and Empire are about all I can stand anymore. And it's the crappy rereleases with the shitty added stuff. I actually like the cleaned up film but all the cgi stuff is just awful.

and fucking Han shot first.

but back to the purpose of the thread, nothing kills an afternoon like watching Attack of the Clones in Spanish

Boris the Blade
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Not my opinion.

Started when I was working at Blockbuster. One of my co-workers said it, because I just saw Episode 2 and that made me want to watch Empire.

They're great. And the effects are good.

c. page
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
There's actually a debat about this? I thought it was generally accepted that the original( IV-VI) were superior to the Episodes I-III. Fuck... kids these days, all special effects and no substance.....

:rofl:

not a whole hell of a lot of substance to the original trilogy. granted, there's a lot more than there was in the prequels, but the movies are still highly effects driven. (empire being the exception to this)

Good & Evil
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
I tried watching Phantom Menace the other day. I couldn't do it. Good god, as bad a Jar Jar is (Very bad), it's nowhere near as bad as that wooden puppet of a kid (Very very bad). How in the Rancor's Keeper sweaty ass did he get the part?

Amos Moses
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
They keep showing IV and V, but never VI! I want my ewoks damnit!

Petey Parker
02-28-2007, 06:18 PM
They keep showing IV and V, but never VI! I want my ewoks damnit!

They've been showing them all a lot. ROTJ was on just yesterday. It was the Hayden ghost version too :sick:

Bill?
02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
i think they paid about a bazillion dollars to get the exclusive rights. so you better believe they're showing the shit out those movies.
and yeah, lucas only lets them air his "special" versions on tv now.

Mike
02-28-2007, 06:34 PM
maybe it's a sign that the upcoming live action show will be on HBO (which would be amazing)

Amos Moses
02-28-2007, 08:26 PM
They've been showing them all a lot. ROTJ was on just yesterday. It was the Hayden ghost version too :sick:

I only get one HBO channel, and they haven't had ROTJ on yet :(