PDA

View Full Version : Wait, so there's NO thread on the Bob Woodruff special?

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Holy crap, with all the politically charged debates on this board, I can't believe that. I hope I missed it.

To be honest, I approached the special with some skepticism. I didn't know what the big deal was. But there was nothing else on, so I started watching it, and got hooked.

The story isn't so much about Woodruff; it seems his personality is such that he would not allow that to happen. In its original airing (with commericals and such) his part of the story is relegated to the first 25 minutes or so. The rest is a focus on the military people who have sustained similar injuries to Mr. Woodruff, their struggles, and the inability and ineptitude of the VA to assist these people.

It's staggering when you hear some of the numbers that come out of the special. It just makes you sad because all these people are over there fighting, and for what? Yeah, freedom, that's all well and good and Saddam's gone, but now it just seems like the guys are over there and are going to be there forever.

It makes me sad to hear the deception coming out of the mouth of the Secretary of Veterans' Affairs, but it doesn't surprise me considering the Bush administration's handling of the matter. And you can tell he's fishing for words. :no:

In my opinion, this just shows the true cost of going over there based on what was effectively a lie. The lives that are lost are very tragic, but the lives that are changed, inexplicably and irrevocably, are even more tragic. I hope Bush saw this and has some sort of coherent reaction to all the people whose lives have changed because they were put in a wartime scenario.

To watch the special, you can go to http://abcnews.com and there's a link/ad at the top of the page.

Gregory
02-28-2007, 06:01 AM
I forgot it was on. Is it possible for him to anchor the news again?

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 06:03 AM
I forgot it was on. Is it possible for him to anchor the news again?

He seems pretty coherent... I mean, he hosted the special, reports and everything. He seems to be doing well. Now that they've given the World News gig to Charlie Gibson, though, I don't know if he'll do it or stick to reporting.

You should watch it, though... it was good.

Bill?
02-28-2007, 06:31 AM
yeah it was pretty good. the parts about his recovery were crazy. his head was all deflated. it's amazing that he's pretty much back to normal after that.
the stuff about what those veterans and their families are going through was really heartbreaking. it's plain shameful that 4-5 years in they can't get it together to take care of these guys.

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Yeah, it was that, and the whole 200,000 injuries thing.

Yowza.

Gregory
02-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, it was that, and the whole 200,000 injuries thing.

The miracles of medical technology have kept our death toll lower for this military action.

Matt Jay
02-28-2007, 07:01 AM
So did he have a near death experience? What was it like? Was the Flying Spaghetti Monster there?

Bill?
02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
So did he have a near death experience? What was it like? Was the Flying Spaghetti Monster there?

juts a horrifying vision of Charlie Gibson stealing his career.

St.-
02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Isn't this the show that replaced boston legal for the night?

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Isn't this the show that replaced boston legal for the night?

If BL comes on Tuesdays at 10, then I guess so.

It was worth the replacement. Definitely should be watched.

And Gregory, you're right, but lives have been changed by this war, and that's not good.

Foolish Mortal
02-28-2007, 07:13 AM
While I can appreciate and admire Bob Woodruff's courage, I just get this underlying feeling that ABC is exploiting him for ratings.

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 07:24 AM
While I can appreciate and admire Bob Woodruff's courage, I just get this underlying feeling that ABC is exploiting him for ratings.

Considering the fact that, as I said before, there was just about twenty or twenty-five minutes of Mr. Woodruff's actual injury and recovery, and the rest was actually the plight that other sufferers of TBI have to endure thanks to the inability of the VA to string two correct chains of actions together, I don't think that's true.

Ben
02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
While I can appreciate and admire Bob Woodruff's courage, I just get this underlying feeling that ABC is exploiting him for ratings.How is making a TV show about someone ever NOT exploitation? That doesn't make it wrong if it spreads important information!

Bill?
02-28-2007, 08:58 AM

he seems like he's got pretty much all his marbles back and he is a reporter. he knows how the game works. plus Woodruff's got to eat. massive head wounds don't heal themselves!

Foolish Mortal
02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Considering the fact that, as I said before, there was just about twenty or twenty-five minutes of Mr. Woodruff's actual injury and recovery, and the rest was actually the plight that other sufferers of TBI have to endure thanks to the inability of the VA to string two correct chains of actions together, I don't think that's true.

How is making a TV show about someone ever NOT exploitation? That doesn't make it wrong if it spreads important information!
Ah, well the preview of the show I saw made it look like it was mostly about Woodruff and his recovery. But if it also focused on the plights of injured soldiers, then kudos to ABC.

Ray G.
02-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, how is this a political thread? It's about a courageous journalist who paid a steep price for reporting on an ongoing war, and his battle to get back to where it was. I don't see how either side should make political hay over this.

I watched parts of it. Amazing guy.

Ryudo
02-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Well, how is this a political thread? It's about a courageous journalist who paid a steep price for reporting on an ongoing war, and his battle to get back to where it was. I don't see how either side should make political hay over this.

I watched parts of it. Amazing guy.

This courageous journalist also showed victims of other soldiers who had similar injuries to what he went through, sometimes even worse (especially in one case), and touched on the complete inability of the VA to take care of those patients and the secrecy the government is trying to impose on these people, as well as the staff of the hospitals.