PDA

View Full Version : Black Donelly's suck

RebootedCorpse
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Two minutes in and it's obvious.
Special Olympics Scorsese.

Deej
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
You're judging this show by the first 2 minutes?

RebootedCorpse
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
You're judging this show by the first 2 minutes?

Still watching.
Still sucks.

Dark Sasha
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
It better.

Fake Pat
02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Two minutes in and it's obvious.

That's pretty much what I expected.

Seeing that Paul Haggis was involved gave me every reason I needed to avoid this show like the plague.

c.rob
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
its really really obvious they pretty much pushed this thru to capitalize on The Departed

RebootedCorpse
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
They just throw out all these cardboard cliches and were supposed to care what happens to them?
Terrible.

Brad N.
02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm in no way impressed. Now, I'm a big time liberal and all for free speech and whatnot, but that show had an awful lot of killing for a network TV show even at the later hour. I don't mind it, but I'm surprised NBC would put something that brutal on in the first place. I might watch another, but it's certainly nothing special.

Mister Mets
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Love that response.

badpoet
02-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I thought it was good, actually. I was totally prepared to hate it, but there were just some great shots in there and the main character is quite expressive with his eyes. I'll be watching next week, even if it's taking the place of Studio 60 (which I love).

cmoney
02-26-2007, 07:05 PM
So far, this thread is pretty predictable.

joespam
02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
I wonder how much hate there'd be for the Black Donnelly's if it wasn't seen as replacing Studio 60.

I'm betting less.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
its really really obvious they pretty much pushed this thru to capitalize on The Departed

during an interview today with the cast they said they filmed the pilot about 18 months ago.

that being said i am sure that The Departed probably did energize NBC about the show.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I'm in no way impressed. Now, I'm a big time liberal and all for free speech and whatnot, but that show had an awful lot of killing for a network TV show even at the later hour. I don't mind it, but I'm surprised NBC would put something that brutal on in the first place. I might watch another, but it's certainly nothing special.

i thought it was pretty tame. Heroes has had more graphic scenes than this.

Ray G.
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I wonder how much hate there'd be for the Black Donnelly's if it wasn't seen as replacing Studio 60.

I'm betting less.

Heroes wasn't replacing Studio 60...

bpepple
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Pretty weak episode. Can't really see me watching this again.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
i thought it was OK, there have been worse things on TV and there have definatley been better.

there was never really a moment that grabbed my attention enough to make me really care about the show untill the end when they revealed who was driving the car that crushed jimmy's leg.

i will tune in next week.

Ray G.
02-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Taped it. I'll probably watch it tomorrow and go from there.

Scotty
02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Well I'm be the odd man out and say. I loved it. I was on the fence until the last five minutes of the show. It was fun.

sonnylarue
02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
you people are high.

Haggis had a great crime drama in the 90's called EZ STREETS, with joey pants and Jason Gedrick.

This first BD episode was pretty good. The cast is very WB-ish, but the violence and writing elevated this to a solid network tv crime show.

I'm watching, and I'm betting it will be watched by a lot more HEROES fans than studio 60, and I WAS READY TO LAUGH AT THIS SHOW TOO!

Bervda
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Boo. I need my Sorkin fix.

sonnylarue
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
i am sure that The Departed probably did energize NBC about the show.

no question.

cmoney
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll be watching next week. Sometimes I'm just not sure where many of the people in this place are coming from. It was an enjoyable intro to what could be a fun and interesting series. Things are almost never as bad as people on internet message boards make them out to be.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
i think it should have had a stronger opening.

the show should have started with:

tommy killing the italians and then jumped in the timeframe to show the events that led us to the executions of the itiallians and then given us the big reaveal about tommy driving the car that hurt jimmy.

but thats just my opinion, what the hell do i know.

Scotty
02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
i think it should have had a stronger opening.

the show should have started with:

tommy killing the italians and then jumped in the timeframe to show the events that led us to the executions of the itiallians and then given us the big reaveal about tommy driving the car that hurt jimmy.

but thats just my opinion, what the hell do i know.

I disagree. I mean it's not instant gratification. It formed a great opening to understand where these boys were coming from and when you think it's going one direction it goes a different way. It's almost set up like a mini-movie. If each episode is set up that way it'll be sweet.

JoeE
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
It may not singlehandedly save network TV from the fascist Christian right with snarky, condescending dialogue, but I enjoyed it.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 08:21 PM
I disagree. I mean it's not instant gratification. It formed a great opening to understand where these boys were coming from and when you think it's going one direction it goes a different way. It's almost set up like a mini-movie. If each episode is set up that way it'll be sweet.

i get what you are saying.

i should have prefacced my statement to say that if it wanted some better ratings it should have opened with a bit more of a bang.

since the pilot was made 18months ago i wonder if the second episode will feel any different?

Ziolko
02-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I want to know how many people in this thread who are hating on this show already are still watching Heroes. Because this first episode was ten times better than the first episode of Heroes. I guess they should have given one of the Donnelly's had laser vision or something.

I thought it was good. Yeah, it's every other organized crime movie or story I've ever seen, but it was well executed and well directed. I'll be watching it next week.

Petey Parker
02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I enjoyed it. I'm gonna keep watching.

Donal DeLay
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I saw 20 minutes of it before having to leave to pick up my sister-in-law from work, and I enjoyed it.

I hope it stays, and replaces Studio 60.

Ziolko
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I saw 20 minutes of it before having to leave to pick up my sister-in-law from work, and I enjoyed it.

I hope it stays, and replaces Studio 60.

Ditto. At least it's more interesting. Though the set up makes me believe that this is a very finite series. Probably only a handful of episodes. Which is fine by me.

Donal DeLay
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh, and I still don't see the comparissons to The Departed other then the fact it deals with the mob.

If anything it's a hell of a lot more like Boondock Saints than Departed.

David Aspmo
02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
It may not singlehandedly save network TV from the fascist Christian right with snarky, condescending dialogue, but I enjoyed it.
Wow. I guess if I thought that's what Studio 60 was, I might not like it either, but as that's in absolutely no way an accurate description of it, I like it quite a bit.

David Aspmo

Los
02-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I didn't really care for it. I thought the characters were very cliched. I'm going to give it another go next week, but so far it hasn't grabbed me.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
02-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr ing.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I figured I would like this- my family's italian, my girlfriend's family is irish (and yeah, those that have seen pics of Amy are probably really confused right now), so I'm thinking "Hmm, an irish Sopranos... this should be fun." and boy was I wrong, it wasn't awful I guess, but not worth watching a 2nd episode. Pretty cliched and mindnumbing really.

Scotty
02-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I figured I would like this- my family's italian, my girlfriend's family is irish (and yeah, those that have seen pics of Amy are probably really confused right now), so I'm thinking "Hmm, an irish Sopranos... this should be fun." and boy was I wrong, it wasn't awful I guess, but not worth watching a 2nd episode. Pretty cliched and mindnumbing really.

I'm sorry what were you expecting to be honest? I mean first of all it's NBC and I honestly thing Network television has one or two hits in it a season. I really enjoyed it. It is good desert after Heroes I think so much better than that tired Studio 60.

greg donovan
02-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry what were you expecting to be honest? I mean first of all it's NBC and I honestly thing Network television has one or two hits in it a season. I really enjoyed it. It is good desert after Heroes I think so much better than that tired Studio 60.

i think there are a lot of tv shows that are made that should have never been made into a full season but rather a miniseries instead. i have a feeling that BD could be one of those types of shows.

02-27-2007, 07:46 AM

See, being that it was being put in Studio 60 slot, I expected to be at least half as good as 60. And really, it wasn't even a quarter as good.

TheTravis!
02-27-2007, 07:54 AM
you people are high.

Haggis had a great crime drama in the 90's called EZ STREETS, with joey pants and Jason Gedrick.

Yeah. But he also used to write for Facts of Life, and he was the creator of Walker: Texas Ranger.

No amount of Pantoliano can erase that stain.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Is anybody else starting to think the Million Dollar Baby scrpit may have been a fluke?

A.Huerta
02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Was this the pilot? Because all pilots suck.

Jim T.
02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
you people are high.

This first BD episode was pretty good. The cast is very WB-ish, but the violence and writing elevated this to a solid network tv crime show.

I'm watching, and I'm betting it will be watched by a lot more HEROES fans than studio 60, and I WAS READY TO LAUGH AT THIS SHOW TOO!

I loved that series and bought the tapes on e-bay last year. It held up really, really well - it was before it's time in a lot of ways.

I taped BD and I'm watching it tonight.

MIKE D
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Is anybody else starting to think the Million Dollar Baby scrpit may have been a fluke?

Judging from his Eastwood work, I think it's more that I refer Haggis as an adapter of other's work. His own output leaves a lot to be desired for me.

Scotty
02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
See, being that it was being put in Studio 60 slot, I expected to be at least half as good as 60. And really, it wasn't even a quarter as good.

But Studio 60 is not good.

Come on Studios 60 is the West Wing with Television, and the West Wing is Sports Night int he White House. Sorkin's only got so many good stories and he makes us rewatch them.

02-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Come on Studios 60 is the West Wing with Television, and the West Wing is Sports Night int he White House. Sorkin's only got so many good stories and he makes us rewatch them.

You just named three of the best written shows ever on television.

Scotty
02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
You just named three of the best written shows ever on television.

:surrend:

joespam
02-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Heroes wasn't replacing Studio 60...You lost me, Ray. Is your point that THAT show gets/got hate too?

It still appears to me that the biggest critics of the show on this board are Studio 60 fans.

Blackbird
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM

he makes me touch him.

KAK
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Paul Haggis cannot top his previous small screen gem, Walker Texas Ranger

BaconWhoreSqueeeaaal
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I thought I'd like it. I turned it off half way through. Was pretty unimpressed.

KingMob
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I thought I'd like it. I turned it off half way through. Was pretty unimpressed.

That means I would probably like it.

BaconWhoreSqueeeaaal
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
That means I would probably like it.

Most likely. It was just really boring. Not much story. Too much explaination. Which I understand that needs to be gotten out of the way, but damn. Give me some sustience here.

KingMob
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Most likely. It was just really boring. Not much story. Too much explaination. Which I understand that needs to be gotten out of the way, but damn. Give me some sustience here.

what did you just ask me for?

Ziolko
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Was this the pilot? Because all pilots suck.

I didn't think this pilot sucked. Especially compared to the Heroes pilot, which was so bad that it ruined any chance of me enjoying the rest of the series.

I stand by my initial thoughts. I thought the episode was good and was a really good set-up for what may happen later in the series. At least there appears to be some sort of finite story they want to tell with a definite beginning and ending.

Ray G.
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
You lost me, Ray. Is your point that THAT show gets/got hate too?

It still appears to me that the biggest critics of the show on this board are Studio 60 fans.

The biggest critics of Heroes are also the biggest promoters of Studio 60. Someone should remind them that they're not competing.

A.Huerta
02-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I didn't think this pilot sucked. Especially compared to the Heroes pilot, which was so bad that it ruined any chance of me enjoying the rest of the series.

I stand by my initial thoughts. I thought the episode was good and was a really good set-up for what may happen later in the series. At least there appears to be some sort of finite story they want to tell with a definite beginning and ending.

All pilots suck. It takes a couple episodes for anything to pick up.

02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
The biggest problem with this show, and there are many, is that there is not ONE likable character in it. They could all die, and the show could go on without a hitch.

Mr. E!
02-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh, and I still don't see the comparissons to The Departed other then the fact it deals with the mob.

If anything it's a hell of a lot more like Boondock Saints than Departed.

Not just the mob...the Irish mob...in Boston! It's the same thing exactly!

Ray G.
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Lasted approximately seven minutes more into the first episode before I dropped this as opposed to Studio 60.

Donellys > Studio 60.

Home shopping network > both.

joespam
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
The biggest critics of Heroes are also the biggest promoters of Studio 60. Someone should remind them that they're not competing.Ahh. Thanks. Never noticed that.

I gotta say, I like Heroes more than Studio 60, but I love the first 4 years of West Wing more than Heroes.

I'd like Studio 60 to stick around long enough to hit its stride, but I don't think it's gonna get that chance. And I think Black Donnellys was pretty strong out of the gate, though Studio 60's pilot was astounding.

cmoney
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
How is the fact that you didn't bother to watch an entire episode a valid criticism of any TV show?

Ray G.
02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
How is the fact that you didn't bother to watch an entire episode a valid criticism of any TV show?

The show has to hold my interest. This failed the test.

cmoney
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
The show has to hold my interest. This failed the test.

Seven minutes is nothing. That's not giving it a chance, that's expecting to hate it and picking out every little thing to support your idea as fast as you can in order to justify not watching it. I mean, it's not the most startling brand-new masterpiece of television, but it's not even close to as bad as the "it sucked for five minutes and I quit watching" crowd is making it out to be.

Ray G.
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Seven minutes is nothing. That's not giving it a chance, that's expecting to hate it and picking out every little thing to support your idea as fast as you can in order to justify not watching it. I mean, it's not the most startling brand-new masterpiece of television, but it's not even close to as bad as the "it sucked for five minutes and I quit watching" crowd is making it out to be.

37 minutes. I lasted 30 minutes into the first episode of Studio 60. I lasted 37 minutes into Black Donnelys.

And I was looking forward to both. I just don't have the time to be wasted on bad TV.

cmoney
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
37 minutes. I lasted 30 minutes into the first episode of Studio 60. I lasted 37 minutes into Black Donnelys.

And I was looking forward to both. I just don't have the time to be wasted on bad TV.

Was there a typo in your post about it? I even went back and made sure before I replied, did I read it wrong twice? Either way, my apologies. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I just don't think it's quite as bad as you're making it out to be, is all.

Ray G.
02-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Was there a typo in your post about it? I even went back and made sure before I replied, did I read it wrong twice? Either way, my apologies. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I just don't think it's quite as bad as you're making it out to be, is all.

My bad, I forgot everyone didn't know how long I lasted into Studio 60. ;)

cmoney
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
My bad, I forgot everyone didn't know how long I lasted into Studio 60. ;)

Gotcha. Back on the same page, at least in that respect.