RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
You're overloading the server.

Amos Moses
02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
or sign up.

Ethan Van Sciver
02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Whenever I show up, everyone lurks to watch me make fun of you, Kirby's. It's the Silent Majority you've heard so much about.

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Whenever I show up, everyone lurks to watch me make fun of you, Kirby's. It's the Silent Majority you've heard so much about.
it's why I'm here.

Ray G.
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Agreed. Isn't there some way to block out the lurkers, so they get the server message?

And please, no one tell me to get my money back. I'm trying to be constructive.

Robert A.
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Agreed. Isn't there some way to block out the lurkers, so they get the server message?

even when I'm lurking I get the server message.

chazbot
02-22-2007, 10:34 AM
If no one lurks, then no one new signs up.

It'd be like kicking someone out of your LCS for just browsing.

New customers... or posters... is a good thing.

jason hissong
02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
that's horseshit. i lurked for YEARS and i loved it.

this isn't our house. it's not our rules. lurkers are welcome, as they should be. and yes, the server busy message is annoying, but you're also not paying for it, it's not 'our private club.' so shut the fuck up about it.

Robert A.
02-22-2007, 10:37 AM

this isn't our house. it's not our rules. lurkers are welcome, as they should be. and yes, the server busy message is annoying, but you're also not paying for it, it's not 'our private club.' so shut the fuck up about it.

I started lurking in 2002 and started posting last summer.

Ryudo

:applause:

KingMob

:lol:

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I blame NEWS - now that he's gone all Hollywood, this place is falling apart. :wink:

Fourthman
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Let's build a fence!

Queen of the Ban Age
02-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Jason, there's reasons why I'm your :beer:wench.

This post is one of them.

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM

agreed. lurkers read our clever posts. who will marvel at our wit but ourselves if not for the lurkers? ;-)

Amos Moses
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I blame NEWS - now that he's gone all Hollywood, this place is falling apart. :wink:

He was always Hollywood.

jason hissong
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Jason, there's reasons why I'm your :beer:wench.

This post is one of them.

:thumb:

and yes, everyone, i realize i made a huge thread about being civil to one another, but seriously, do we need to do this every day?

because one way to HELP the server busy problem is YET ANOTHER THREAD about it!

Robert A.
02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
If it wasn't for me lurking, I probably wouldn't be reading any of the indy comics I read today. Before i came here I only read two marvel books.

RebootedCorpse

I wasn't gonna say nuthin', but I do notice when you're here, we tend to get these notices.
Maybe it's the three people that post on your board that put us over the top...:grope:

Ryudo
:thumb:

and yes, everyone, i realize i made a huge thread about being civil to one another, but seriously, do we need to do this every day?

because one way to HELP the server busy problem is YET ANOTHER THREAD about it!

Seriously.

It's called logic.

(Is this an appropriate time to type "Go KTT"? Because I think it is)

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Great. Now fucking lurkers are an oppressed minority...;-)

Vonn Hennigar
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with Lurkers.

Hell until i bought my own laptop 3 years ago, i was a lurker at the Image Board for years.

The Server Too Busy messages are annoying but essentially banning people for not posting is one of the worst possible solutions i can think of.

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with Lurkers.

Hell until i bought my own laptop 3 years ago, i was a lurker at the Image Board for years.

The Server Too Busy messages are annoying but essentially banning people for not posting is one of the worst possible solutions i can think of.

Who said anything about banning?

KingMob
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
agreed.

Yeah, I mean really, I would prefer that people stop making bullshit political threads that pontificate endlessly like some jr. debate session that are copied and pasted in here multiple times on a daily basis like some redheaded stepchild who keeps finding his way home (mostly out of internet pandering I would imagine), but who am I to say....

half guard
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
if there wasn't a parody moratorium, i'd make a "LARPers need to go away" parody thread in a heart beat. not that it would be a very funny thread necessarily.

i'm just sick of hearing those fat, greasy fuckers hollering "magic missle! magic missle!" in the woods outside of my office all day. :mad:

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know what causes the "server too busy" messages? Is it the volume of posts or the number of people on the server?

bizarro gum
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM

Thank you!

/goes back to lurking

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you!

/goes back to lurking

:rofl:

nicely done!!

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
The best thing about the Internet is no perceived insult is too slight to get people all freaked out.

Shane W
02-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Let's build a fence!

Can we use cheap lurker labor to build it?

Shane W
02-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know what causes the "server too busy" messages? Is it the volume of posts or the number of people on the server?

This is my understanding.

jason hissong
The best thing about the Internet is no perceived insult is too slight to get people all freaked out.

how is that not insulting? telling people to go away? that's not insulting?

half guard
Thank you!

/goes back to lurking

fucking awesome!

Shane W
02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
how is that not insulting? telling people to go away? that's not insulting?

he's a Cubs fan.. What do you expect?

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Thank you!

/goes back to lurking

Well played! :grope:

bizarro gum
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM

I wasn't insulted, just did it for a laugh.

Happy Birthday! btw

Dr. Omega
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Not sure of the logic here..

Problem: Lurkers take up too much bandwidth
Solution: Have lurkers register = Problem: So many now REGISTERED users take up too much bandwidth..

Step 3: Profit

Dr. Ω

Shane W
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM

Happy Birthday! btw

Liar!! See, you let a lurker in and they promise to leave, and the next thing you know they have TWO posts.. Then three.. It's a vicious cycle I tell ya.

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Liar!! See, you let a lurker in and they promise to leave, and the next thing you know they have TWO posts.. Then three.. It's a vicious cycle I tell ya.

god Shane, lurkers have names you know.

TacoKid
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been signed up since March of '05 and have only posted about 70 times. I doubt anyone even recognizes my username. (I think there were boards before this one and I was registered for those also)

I consider myself a "registered lurker".

= )

greg donovan
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
is it time to take ask for donations? or maybe sell some MOB stuff to help pay for the server costs?

bizarro gum
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Mwahahaha! Now that you know my plan, I'll have to silence you.

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been signed up since March of '05 and have only posted about 70 times. I doubt anyone even recognizes my username.

= )

You may qualify for amnesty, then...

Shane W
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
god Shane, lurkers have names you know.

Now you're in on it too?

:scared:

KingMob
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM
is it time to take ask for donations? or maybe sell some MOB stuff to help pay for the server costs?

There are other methods that can be used before any more money becomes involved I'm thinking.

I'm on another message board where if they expect the server to be busy it goes into this backup mode where all avatars, sig pics, jpegs and everything of that nature are eliminated and all the threads and posts are done old school style sort of like Mack's old forum was, just text.

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Happy Birthday! btw

Thanks, I'm glad you joined in.
You can stay!

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM

For some reason, Bendsi is dead-set against this.

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM

he hates money

?

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
he hates money

?

I think money brings a certain level of entitlement with it that he'd just as soon avoid. It's hard enough riding herd on us while it's free!

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I think money brings a certain level of entitlement with it that he'd just as soon avoid. It's hard enough riding herd on us while it's free!

yeah I know, I was being... coy

?

Martin J
02-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I've been signed up since March of '05 and have only posted about 70 times. I doubt anyone even recognizes my username. (I think there were boards before this one and I was registered for those also)

= )

I consider myself a serial lurker, on the previous bendis bard, the WEF and the engine amongst others. I dont personally have much to say either witty or otherwise.

MJ

KingMob
02-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I dont personally have much to say either witty or otherwise.

MJ

that doesnt stop a lot of people from posting about 45 times a day though. :lol:

greg donovan
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM

i agree with bendis for the reasons listed by Jim T.

i was just tossing out the concept.

Taki Soma
02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
that doesnt stop a lot of people from posting about 45 times a day though. :lol:

stop laughing at me!

KingMob
02-22-2007, 11:52 AM
stop laughing at me!

you are far from one of those...:lol:

oh wait I'm laughing again.

and I made a post that doesnt have much content.

:surrend:

johnny whiplash
02-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm a registered lurker, just like TacoKid. Posted for, like, a minute, went away, and when I came back I returned to lurker status.

Mr. E!
02-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Mwahahaha! Now that you know my plan, I'll have to silence you.

Hmmmm, the new guy has both moxie AND spunk. He'll do well here.

Matt Jay
02-22-2007, 12:09 PM
How can the eyes of the industry watch us if they can't lurk?

Then again, how can they watch us when *Server is busy. Please try again later.*

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
It just seems like there are a ton of people who almost always on the board list who never post.
I guess that's OK, except for the server problems, but I don't understand it.

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 12:18 PM
It just seems like there are a ton of people who almost always on the board list who never post.

I think they're made up of previously banned members - sort of like the Phantom Zone but with less Zod...

sonnylarue
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Guys, don't get jerky about Lurkers .

Maybe instead some of you who "live here at the club" need to stop using the pool and tennis courts so much.

(see that doesn't feel good either, does it)

Jim T.
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Maybe instead some of you who "live here at the club" need to stop using the pool and tennis courts so much.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/JimTAccount/smails-1.jpg

Don't you people have homes??

johnny whiplash
02-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Oh. There's a lot of comic news and opinion, so I'd like to read some of that and the reading and posting takes a lot more time than just the reading part.

Like what I just did? I could have read like two threads in the time it's taken me to do this. Or I could do my work. That sort of thing.

And that's already two posts in one day, which is perilously close to robbing me of my lurker status.

TSChamp
02-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I was going to say something but:

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Captain Sensation
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM

wow, i didnt know you had that in you. Well said.

PeterSparker
02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/JimTAccount/smails-1.jpg

Don't you people have homes??

:D

there's a brown Audi parked in my spot....

jason hissong
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
wow, i didnt know you had that in you. Well said.

thanks.

i do get annoyed here a lot, but i also love this place. and few things get me fired up as much as people being unwelcoming. i'm not saying we should all hold hands and roast smores by the campfire. but there's no excuse to alienate an entire group of people like that. a group of people that for some, i'm sure, will indeed be 'regulars.'

dEnny!
02-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Easy.

Lurkers are ALWAYS welcome.

I'm always excited to see new members.

And we value our old crotchety members as well.

dEnny!
02-22-2007, 02:36 PM

I think it's all the liberal propaganda that is spread on the board.

The Human Target
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
agreed. lurkers read our clever posts. who will marvel at our wit but ourselves if not for the lurkers? ;-)

I firmly believe I have a personal lurker entourage of at least a bakers dozen nerds.

Mr. E!
02-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Oh SNAP! :lol:

RebootedCorpse
02-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Is there any life situation to which a quote from Caddyshack does not apply?

Shane W
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
:D

there's a brown Audi parked in my spot....

Hey Whitey! Where's your hat?!

Taxman
02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I guess they'll have to upgrade the server pretty soon. Whatever function BEDNIS! feels the board fills, it has to be able to fill it.

Or, he could just ban everyone with over 10,000 post.

Oh, wait . . .

Howlett
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM

I think I want to marry Jason now :Oops:

In a non-gay way, of course :shifty:

Thank you!

/goes back to lurking

Man, I hope you stay :lol:

Easy.

Lurkers are ALWAYS welcome.

I'm always excited to see new members.

And we value our old crotchety members as well.

I AM NOT CROTCHETY DAMMIT!!! STOP MAKING UP SHIT ABOUT ME :mad:

............... oh wait, you meant everyone. My bad. Nevermind :Oops:

Taxman
02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm always excited to see new members.The chances of getting to ban somebody must go up with each one.

Queen of the Ban Age
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I think I want to marry Jason now :Oops:

In a gay way, of course :shifty:

:o HOWLY!

Mr. E!
02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I AM NOT CROTCHETY DAMMIT!!! STOP MAKING UP SHIT ABOUT ME :mad:

Get off his lawn, you damn hooligans!;-)

Howlett
02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Get off his lawn, you damn hooligans!;-)

*shakes walking stick at the lurking wippersnappers*

kritty
02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I think it's all the liberal propaganda that is spread on the board.

dEnny!
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
The chances of getting to ban somebody must go up with each one.

You know me too well.

greg donovan
02-22-2007, 07:02 PM
*shakes walking stick at the lurking wippersnappers*

dont step on the flaming sack on your porch. it is filled with :Poo:

Howlett
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
dont step on the flaming sack on your porch. it is filled with :Poo:

*uses stick to fling flaming sack of poo back at the wippersnappers*

Blandy vs Terrorism
02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Great. Now fucking lurkers are an oppressed minority...;-)

Except they're the majority of the people here....

(yeah, I'm sure it's been said)

Taxman
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
You know me too well.Not that well, fortunately.