PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest influences

Angel of Distraction
05-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Simple question: writers, artists, musicians: tell us what it is you do, write, sing, whatever. Doesn't matter whether it is a hobby, or a proffession or hopeful profession. Then tell us what your biggest specific NON-HUMAN influences are. For example, Steven Spielberg would be an inspecific human influence. Saving Private Ryan would be good. Get it got it good?

For me, Spirited Away is going to end up being a huge effect on the project I am just starting, whereeas Failsafe Heaven, which I've been working on for a while, takes cues from Final Fantasy's group adventuring template and from Carl Barks's Uncle Scrooge, which couldn't be odder considering the subject matter. Whereas Syndicate Comics (which is on hiatus while I work on FH) takes some influence from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

DaGetHighKnight
05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
My Father
My Grandfather
The Beatles
Dali
Mozart
DiVinci

Jason California
05-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Simple question: writers, artists, musicians: tell us what it is you do, write, sing, whatever. Doesn't matter whether it is a hobby, or a proffession or hopeful profession. Then tell us what your biggest specific NON-HUMAN influences are. For example, Steven Spielberg would be an inspecific human influence. Saving Private Ryan would be good. Get it got it good?

For me, Spirited Away is going to end up being a huge effect on the project I am just starting, whereeas Failsafe Heaven, which I've been working on for a while, takes cues from Final Fantasy's group adventuring template and from Carl Barks's Uncle Scrooge, which couldn't be odder considering the subject matter. Whereas Syndicate Comics (which is on hiatus while I work on FH) takes some influence from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

How about Jesse Custer ? He is nto really a human but more of an idea. Where some people think what would Jesus do ? , I think what would Jesse do ?

Natty P
05-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Paul McCartney, Dostoyevsky, Bob Marley, Brian Wilson, Peter Frampton, Sam Cooke.

Blake Sims
05-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Jeffrey Brown
R Crumb
The Beatles
Wes Anderson
Quentin Tarantino
James Kochalka

Gunter
05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Okay...reread the rules.

I write as a hobby. Just because I enjoy it. I never really share what I write.

My biggest influences would be Abbott and Costello movies, The Three Stooges, Loony Tunes cartoons for their comedic timing, expressions and dialogue, and mobster movies (The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc), for the dialogue.

The Roman Candle
05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
I like how no one is following the rules.

Angel of Distraction
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
I think the point was missed, but oh well.

Angel of Distraction
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
I like how no one is following the rules.

I noticed. I know they don't have to but I wasn't curious as to WHO influenced them. :(

Houdinimachine
05-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Sports Night, Spartan, and Swingers as far as my writing goes. I seriously owe so much of my dialogue flow to Sports Night it's scary. I'd be a total clone if I didn't steal from Spartan and Swingers on top of it.

During film school, I am going to totally ape Ice Storm. It was made by my director idol and it infuses me with inspiration that only Memento and Usual Suspects have done before. Mostly Ice Storm though. Ice Storm is one of the best shot films I've ever seen.

Also, I hold a special place in my heart for the cinematography in City of God.

In life, my greatest hero is my Grandmother who was the only one who ever instilled pride in me for both who I was and my talents. She was my best friend and mentor through childhood. And she's Irish so I guess Ireland. Are you fucking happy now?

Brian Defferding
05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Music has been a huge influence on how I draw and how I write. To be even more specific, the song School by 70's band Supertramp from their 1975 album Crime of the Century was almost solely responsible for bringing the idea of School: A Ghost Story to paper. Listen to that song! It's fucking beautiful. If my comic had a soundtrack, this would be the first song on it.

Other musical influences which helped drive me to draw and write are the bands Opeth and Slayer. The Megadeth song Wake Up Dead I could listen to over and over and never get tired of it.

As for comic book influences - Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and The Hard Goodbye is what automatically pops in my head. Others include Berlin: City of Stones and Jar of Fools by Jason Lutes, and early work by Bendis.

Jason California
05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
The Brother Karamazov

THis is a damn good book. It teaches morality a lot beter than most sources.

TonyFleecs
05-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Goodfellas. It's so fucking dirty but the images are so crisp & bright.

Houdinimachine
05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Also... I love the hell out of Road to Morrocco. The Road to Movies have such great lead characters who fit so well together. My Road movie steals sooo much from them.

Blake Sims
05-06-2005, 06:56 PM
woops i didnt read your post correctly
okay sooo

Jeffrey Brown's body of work is probably the biggest influence on me more than anything he has the most amazing books and mini comics i have ever seen

jordan michael
05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
john darnielle