PDA

View Full Version : HIV-Postive Tommy Morrison to fight again

adamgreenberger
02-21-2007, 12:42 PM
from www.si.com

CHESTER, W.Va. (AP) -- Former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison said Thursday a positive HIV test that ended his career more than a decade ago was inaccurate and he is staging a comeback to take care of some unfinished business.

Morrison, 38, will appear in a four-round fight Thursday at Mountaineer Racetrack and Gaming Resort.

"I'm negative and I've always been negative and that should be the end of it," Morrison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"The rug was yanked out from under my feet by a misdiagnosis," he said. "All I want to do is fight ... It's unfinished business."

State Athletic Commissioner Steve Allred said Tuesday he approved Morrison's participation in Thursday's fight after reviewing medical records and consulting with the Association of Boxing Commissions' medical review committee. Confidentiality laws prevent Allred from discussing Morrison's medical history or the records he reviewed, he said.

West Virginia does not have mandatory blood testing for boxers.

"I assure you that West Virginia is doing due diligence to make sure everyone who steps into the ring is healthy," Allred said.

Morrison won the WBO title in 1993 after beating George Foreman on points. He lost it later that year. Morrison, who was featured in the movie "Rocky V," also served a couple of years in an Arkansas prison on drug and weapons charges.

He announced he had human immunodeficiency virus in February 1996 and his last fight occurred that November in Japan when he knocked out Marcus Rhode in the first round. After that fight he said he was trying to erase the fear of AIDS.

Morrison said Tuesday that he has taken several tests while preparing for his comeback and all have been negative for the virus.

He has signed a contract with boxing promoter Top Rank for at least eight fights this year.

"I have no doubt I'll be a better fighter than I ever was before," he said. "I am more relaxed. Something that comes along with age causes you to simmer a bit."

Morrison, who is 46-3-1, will face John Castle of Indianapolis in the four-round match, which is one of seven scheduled at Mountaineer. Castle's record is 4-2.

If this is true...I wonder if the same can be said about Magic Johnson?

The Dean
02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
You've copied some of the ads into the story...

Or are you sponsored now?

adamgreenberger
02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
You've copied some of the ads into the story...

Or are you sponsored now?

Fixed...and I wish I was sponsored

Briomega
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
If it's true, good for him and his health. Doesn't change the fact that he's way past his prime.

Seems odd that it would take this long for him to find out or tell anyone that the test was a mistake.

Professor Oreo
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know how well this is gonna turn out for him. He's got a hell of a left hook but an incredibly weak chin. I don't think an extra 10 years is gonna be too kind to either of those facts. I would love to see him and Tyson throw down though...

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
02-21-2007, 01:01 PM
West Virginia does not have mandatory blood testing for boxers.

That one line right there gives this article a very sinister tone...

Gib Ikswobel
02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
He was on the Dan Patrick show this afternoon. Really hot headed and confrontaional. He said that he never had HIV and it was false positive because of steroids. He has also found Jesus and said quote " ill be praising god all the way to the bank"

Foolish Mortal
02-21-2007, 01:36 PM
If it's true, good for him and his health. Doesn't change the fact that he's way past his prime.

Seems odd that it would take this long for him to find out or tell anyone that the test was a mistake.
Yeah that has me confused. Why did he wait so long? Did he just find this out? Did he think he had HIV all this time? Did they not do thorough tests on him initially? And if they did do thorough tests, how did he keep coming up HIV positive?

Lots of questions have sprung up in my mind. I would not let him box again until all the questions have been answered.

XXXenophile
02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
He was on the Dan Patrick show this afternoon. Really hot headed and confrontaional. He said that he never had HIV and it was false positive because of steroids. He has also found Jesus and said quote " ill be praising god all the way to the bank"

Time for Stallone to go in and kick the crap out of him AGAIN!

Jerome Gibbons
02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I can't imagine how that must feel. Thinking you've got AIDS for years, then suddenly finding out that it wasn't true.

Albert
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I guess the government pretended to give him AIDS.

Albert
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I can't imagine how that must feel. Thinking you've got AIDS for years, then suddenly finding out that it wasn't true.

I know, seriously. Think of all the unprotected sex you missed out on!