PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Superfuzz on DVD!

Gregory
02-21-2007, 06:08 AM
HBO used to show this film about 20 times a week in the early '80s.

A cop gets super powers but temporarily loses them when he sees the color red. It's cheap and mildly un-amusing. Ernest Borgnine finds himself afloat on a giant balloon, dances, scolds God for a thunderclap. That's the level of hijinxitude we're talking about here. It was my babysitter for virtually an entire year. The film is an Italian production, and it took me a while to realize that was why it made for such a quirky viewing.

But the scene where he catches a bullet in his teeth was the coolest thing my young eyes had seen at the time. He coulda been jedi, yo.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000J4OYNQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bill Nolan
02-21-2007, 06:21 AM
I saw that in the theaters, and I've always wanted to see it again. I think the theme song is available online somewhere....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZyFkdqABE

- B

Bill Nolan
02-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Even better:

http://www.camchaney.com/Superfuzz.mp3

- B

naclone
02-21-2007, 06:31 AM
i saw this in the theater as well.

eesh.

Bill Nolan
02-21-2007, 06:33 AM
i saw this in the theater as well.

eesh.

We be old... :surrend:

- B

naclone
02-21-2007, 06:35 AM
And I mean, it was Police Academy meets Greatest American Hero. what could go wrong?

Dropkick
02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I saw this on video as a kid. I remember how odd it felt seeing Terence Hill in a movie without Bud Spencer.

LenNWallace
02-21-2007, 07:43 AM
This looks like someone stole all my ideas for Nickelplate: The Movie, got in a time machine and went back to the 80's, and used them for this...

Fourthman
02-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Are they selling this in Hi-Ya-Oon-Ka-Ka?

XXXenophile
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM

A cop gets super powers but temporarily loses them when he sees the color red. It's cheap and mildly un-amusing. Ernest Borgnine finds himself afloat on a giant balloon, dances, scolds God for a thunderclap. That's the level of hijinxitude we're talking about here. It was my babysitter for virtually an entire year. The film is an Italian production, and it took me a while to realize that was why it made for such a quirky viewing.

But the scene where he catches a bullet in his teeth was the coolest thing my young eyes had seen at the time. He coulda been jedi, yo.

Ok, I wasn't imagining things and this is the movie that I used to see on HBO as a kid.

Wow, this and Midnight Madness are actually out on DVD. I think I need to buy this just for kitsch value.

Donal DeLay
02-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Now, if only it came doublepackaged with Condorman, my life would be complete.

glk
02-21-2007, 03:20 PM

This movie and "Hardbodies" shaped my young mind once we got HBO in the ''80s.

glk
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Oh hell yes!!!

~Hernandez~
02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
We be old... :surrend:

- B

And I make 3.

Ive been waiting for this to come out. I know its gotta be bad, but its a fond memory of my Mom & Grandma going to the theaters to see. We saw togetherSuperman 2 as well.

XXXenophile
02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
This movie and "Hardbodies" shaped my young mind once we got HBO in the ''80s.

Don't forget the other two perennials:

Clash of the Titans, and the real thing HBO stands for:

Hey, Beastmaster's On!

XXXenophile
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Decades later and I still can't believe the damn Phantom of the Opera is Condorman. Still blows my mind.

Brian Reed
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Awww hell yeah. This, Clash of the Titans and Beastmaster defined way too much of my early childhood. There was that movie where the stopwatch stopped time too... what the hell was that called? Oh, and The Incredible Shrinking Woman. Goddamnit, HBO. You destroyed a perfectly good brain.

Travis M. Bierwagen
02-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Heh.

When I was a kid the local PTA used to do a series of "family friendly" movies on the weekends (8 weeks in the Winter and 8 weeks in the Summer) for the low, low ticket price of $1.50.

Superfuzz was one of these movies. I believe in the Winter PTA movie season of 1984. I was in the 3rd grade :eek:

Did anyone else enjoy these PTA (or similar) movies growing up? I know that the advent of the VCR pretty much killed them around here about the time that I started high school... but Ahhhhh... the memories.

Gregory
02-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Did anyone else enjoy these PTA (or similar) movies growing up? I know that the advent of the VCR pretty much killed them around here about the time that I started high school... but Ahhhhh... the memories.

I remember our middle school was given copies of the Karate Kid II script to read aloud in class, followed by a special free screening of the film the next Saturday morning.

adamgreenberger
02-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Channel 43 is Cleveland used to show it all the time...and I would watch it whenever it was on...I haven't thought about that movie in a long time!!

Fourthman
02-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi-Ya-Oon-Ka-Ka? Anyone? I thought you all loved this movie!

BigButtPanda
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
:shock:

I had totally forgotten this movie existed. I used to love it as a kid, but I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near as funny as I remember it.