PDA

View Full Version : Found a new LCS...

ClintP
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
And it was brilliant. The thing that makes me sad is that it is kind of in a out of the way location, though the area is growing and new. It is by a brand new Walmart and a Cinemark.

It was one of those new fangled LCS where it was clean and well lit. They also promote reading there and have comfy sofas.

They also have a 40 inch HD tv there and have party viewings of Heroes and Smallville.

The owner is trying to promote a cool place to come hang out and get comics and games.

Last night they had a live art and music show to help some small press guy who got bacterial menegitious (I know I spelled it wrong).

I pimped some Silent Devil comics and this board and told him it was a cool place to hang.

He offers a subscription service and gives 10% off as well as free previews each month. I may have to stop with DCBS and support this guy.

It is almost like it belongs in some hippy part of the country! :twisted:

SAVETHEB
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
The owner is trying to promote a cool place to come hang out and get comics and games.

thats EXACTLY the kind of comic store im going to open when i have a little more money

every time i go to my store, i try and talk to the guy there and he doesn't say shit and he really isn't friendly at all and i want to leave immediately.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 12:58 PM
thats EXACTLY the kind of comic store im going to open when i have a little more money

every time i go to my store, i try and talk to the guy there and he doesn't say shit and he really isn't friendly at all and i want to leave immediately.

This store was very cool. He had discovery channel on that big screen. I smiled when I heard Mike Rowe in the background. This guy reminded me a LOT of Thudpucker. He looked very close, and he was running a store like Thud would. It was eery. :)

I may drop dcbs and go with this guy. It is kind of out of the way, but it is closer than my last LCS. I still get like 2 issuesa a month from my old one, but this store is so cool, I have to support it.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
It reminded me a lot a book store or some thing. It was very nice looking.

twigglet
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Group viewings of Heroes?

That's really cool.

Supajoe
02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
oh yeah, this is the one in cedar hill, right? i almost did the art show, but i was too busy. i may have to head over there sometime and check it out.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Group viewings of Heroes?

That's really cool.

Yeah, he has that big tv hanging on the wall and he said for those shows, he wants ppl to come out and hang and watch them. I think it is a slick idea. Next time i go there, I may ask to take some pictures and post them here.

twigglet
02-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, he has that big tv hanging on the wall and he said for those shows, he wants ppl to come out and hang and watch them. I think it is a slick idea. Next time i go there, I may ask to take some pictures and post them here.

Sigh.

That sounds so much better than my LCS :(

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
oh yeah, this is the one in cedar hill, right? i almost did the art show, but i was too busy. i may have to head over there sometime and check it out.

Yeah. If you do, you can come hang with me. Someone from the show made some sweet ass Indiana Jones picture. It looked like a photo, but looked like someone made it black and white and played with the effects. It was fucking badass. He said that went for 45. I think they had an auction for the art or something.

Dave S.
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
My LCS isn't like that. It's all business. But the guys are nice. And it's really the only option as far as I know.

Fourth World Comics on Long Island.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:13 PM
My LCS isn't like that. It's all business. But the guys are nice. And it's really the only option as far as I know.

Fourth World Comics on Long Island.

The one I went to before and slowed up on going was all business. He was cool enough sometimes, but really has a bad case of pms sometimes.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-11-2007, 01:20 PM
And it was brilliant. The thing that makes me sad is that it is kind of in a out of the way location, though the area is growing and new. It is by a brand new Walmart and a Cinemark.

It was one of those new fangled LCS where it was clean and well lit. They also promote reading there and have comfy sofas.

They also have a 40 inch HD tv there and have party viewings of Heroes and Smallville.

Last night they had a live art and music show to help some small press guy who got bacterial menegitious (I know I spelled it wrong).

I pimped some Silent Devil comics and this board and told him it was a cool place to hang.

He offers a subscription service and gives 10% off as well as free previews each month. I may have to stop with DCBS and support this guy.

It is almost like it belongs in some hippy part of the country! :twisted:

I'm glad to hear that a physical store that is inviting and pleasant is within your driving area. As everyone knows I'm pro-comic shop (if they are about earning and keeping your business) and believe that there is more to the business/ hobby of comics than discount. It sounds like a good place with benefits that can outweigh the discount you got with mail order. Keep us posted!

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
The one I went to before and slowed up on going was all business. He was cool enough sometimes, but really has a bad case of pms sometimes.

Without naming names, what does that mean? Everyone has bad days, but I don't think I ever take it out on customers. I'm human so I'm sure it shows at times, but such moments pass quickly. :)

kylethoreau
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I miss my old comics shop

which was Famous Faces and Funnies in Melbourne FL.

now i'm going to a place called Rubber Chicken comics in Bellingham MA.....nowhere near as kickass as my old store, but it's growing on me,

thankfully neither store is all business.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that a physical store that is inviting and pleasant is within your driving area. As everyone knows I'm pro-comic shop (if they are about earning and keeping your business) and believe that there is more to the business/ hobby of comics than discount. It sounds like a good place with benefits that can outweigh the discount you got with mail order. Keep us posted!

Yeah, I will probably get tpbs and such off the net, but I may go with them for my subscriptions. I get about 15-20 monthlies, but I may ween that down to 10-15.

My last LCS had a 10% off, but that was after you bought a "club membership" for $15. You got 75 cents off each month, but eh.

The free previews and the fact that this store is pimp is enough for me to switch back over until I move to the middle of nowhere in about 5 years. I mainly went over to dcbs after my store owner stopped chatting with me.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Without naming names, what does that mean? Everyone has bad days, but I don't think I ever take it out on customers. I'm human so I'm sure it shows at times, but such moments pass quickly. :)
No, it was a reacurring thing. He used to be cool and chat for a while when he just worked there part time, but he bought it. He used to just work there for free, and order a shit load off of their Diamond account. The previous owners were really old and he was their son's friend. He bought them out because they have failing health. They are still there from time to time, but he was the reason I went there.

He is a big convention guy, and hits all of them in TX, so he is very busy. He is cool for the most part, but I don't get to chat up comics or anything like I used to with him. Sometimes, I would go in and be all cheerful and ask what's up and he would give me the cold shoulder. I had to drive a ways out of my way to get there, and it just wasn't worth it.

He is a cool guy, but I got snubbed one too many times. I still think of him fondly, but just wasn't the same.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Also, he never carries anything other than Marvel/DC. He gets some things, but there is just not the market for a lot of stuff there. This new shop is a little more into some alternative things, but I hope it doesn't hurt them too badly.

As some of you may know, TX isn't the biggest place for this type of culture. All big cities have plenty of ppl who like art/music/comics, but this shop is kind of on the edge of the boonies.

It is south of Dallas, which is not known for it's pleasentness, a sub-burb of sorts, and the sticks. It is a growing area, but I am not sure how many comics fans.

Also, it is 15 minutes away from my old LCS, which has been there for years.

Supajoe
02-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah. If you do, you can come hang with me. Someone from the show made some sweet ass Indiana Jones picture. It looked like a photo, but looked like someone made it black and white and played with the effects. It was fucking badass. He said that went for 45. I think they had an auction for the art or something.

oh cool! yeah, the art show was put on by a bunch of guys in the sketch group i go to, and there are some badasses in that group.

we'll definitely have to get together and hit this place up.

ClintP
02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey Mr. Retail! I have given it some thought. I will officially be switching over to this store for my main comic getting. I decided it was worth supporting a man who goes the extra step for his dream. We all have dreams, and they need supporting. Clearly, the owner of that store's dream was to make a fucking bad ass comic shop. I do not want to be the one who didn't go and help put him under.

I am also going to cut some of my comics to cover the cost increase, which will be hard since there are some bad ass comics out these days. But the man has an awesome store and was super nice. Sign me up Mr. Comic Store Owerman!

ClintP
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I was checking out the new LCS site, and they are going to have some sort of art classes in the near future. They had a link to email if you are interested.... I think this comic store is the fucking end all comic shop!

Sean Jackson
02-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, Zeus Comics (http://www.zeuscomics.com) rocks the socks in Dallas.

ClintP
02-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Well, Zeus Comics (http://www.zeuscomics.com) rocks the socks in Dallas.

Zeus is very cool. I have been in there maybe 3-4 times. However, that is a long ass away for me. The owner there is a cool mofo.

Gabbra49
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I have no luck wit LCS's the one i use to go to closed. So im stuck waiting for trades and getting Subs. :cry: