PDA

View Full Version : "Sweet Chunks"

Donal DeLay
02-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Used in Year One, it's a classic work of art.

Used in ASB&R, and it's crap dialogue.

Fans are weird.

TIP
02-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Heh.

I reread YEAR ONE recently and came across it and thought just about the same thing.

:thumb:

JABSEN
02-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Wasn't it "Love Chunks" in ASB&R? Not that it matters.

TIP
02-06-2007, 04:38 AM

That's Chunkist!

:mad:

Donal DeLay
02-06-2007, 04:39 AM
It was, but it's still the same cheesy thing.

JABSEN
02-06-2007, 04:40 AM
That's Chunkist!

:mad:I think Chunks should stick to their own kind...:miffed:

bachman
02-06-2007, 04:41 AM
it's crap dialogue.

You mispelled "awesome".

Fans suck.

Dreg
02-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Does Black Canary do the Truffle Shuffle?

TheKraken
02-06-2007, 05:47 AM

Fans are weird.

You're right, I'm pretty sure it is the phrase "sweet chunks" and that phrase alone that has earned Year One its reputation as a classic. Good lookin' out.

TIP
02-06-2007, 05:48 AM
I think Chunks should stick to their own kind...:miffed:

That's Slothist!!!

:mad:

T

Donal DeLay
02-06-2007, 06:02 AM
You're right, I'm pretty sure it is the phrase "sweet chunks" and that phrase alone that has earned Year One its reputation as a classic. Good lookin' out. Because that's exactly what I meant. Good lookin out.

:roll:

Bill?
02-06-2007, 06:05 AM
i'm just mad that i'm not allowed to use it in bars anymore. stupid sexual harassment laws. :mad:

LenNWallace
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
"Love chunks" needs to become a normal part of my everyday speaking repitoir.

YC Comics!
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
had it not been every other phrase in ASBR, i just might have worked.

Albert
02-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Fans are weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context

Ryan Elliott
02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
You're right Donal.

DaveCummings
02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Because when Year One came out, it was pretty much everyone who loved Miller's work. Now, you get alot of bitter comic fans who think it's trendy to rip on him.

Boris the Blade
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess it didn't bother me there because Year One came out something like twenty years ago and I just assumed it might have been acceptable slang back then. Not that I ever heard it before, just wrote it off as such.

In All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder it was out of time and used ad nauseum, so it's easier to pull.

JoeE
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Because when Year One came out, it was pretty much everyone who loved Miller's work. Now, you get alot of bitter comic fans who think it's trendy to rip on him.

I hate ASB&R and will not hesitate to rip into it. But I assure you that most of its detractors would be more than happy to have Frank Miller writing a truly awesome, enjoyable Batman comic.

Donal DeLay
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I hate ASB&R and will not hesitate to rip into it. But I assure you that most of its detractors would be more than happy to have Frank Miller writing a truly awesome, enjoyable Batman comic. Which is exactly what he's doing in ASB&R.

:D

Boris the Blade
02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Which is exactly what he's doing in ASB&R.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man!

xyzzy
02-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Why can't you accept that people might just not like it? You have to attribute their dislike to a desire to be trendy? That seems more than a little dickish.

Ryan Elliott
02-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Which is exactly what he's doing in ASB&R.

Bingo!

Donal DeLay
02-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man! And yours is yours.

Boris the Blade
02-25-2007, 02:53 PM
And yours is yours.
Boris abides.

DaveCummings
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Why can't you accept that people might just not like it? You have to attribute their dislike to a desire to be trendy? That seems more than a little dickish.

Dude, I'm attributing it to the fact that people were quick to bash the book before it came out, bashing the creator before the book came out.

I accept that people just don't like it. HOWEVER, I do attribute alot of attitude on the internet to cliquey, trendy behavior where they feel like they have to bash the work of certain creators before even seeing the work. I'm not saying that people on here per se are doing it, but you see it alot on other boards. Some boards to it towards people like Bendis or Millar. Some do it towards people like Ellis or Loeb. Some do it towards Madureira or Miller.

But, I have no problem accepting any opinion. However, sometimes certain behavior makes it hard to take certain negative viewpoints seriously because you don't know if they are being legitimate or are just making noise because they want attention drawn to themselves, despite the anonymous nature of the internet.

Just saying.

Jerome Gibbons
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I've only read two issues of ASB&RBW, um...I didn't think it was "bad" bad...it's just that...I...thought...Bruce Wayne/Batman acted like a cartoon character. And...that just seemed weird to me. And not the kind of Batman I dig. But the art was purty.