PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen Would Most Likely Make One Crappy Movie [SPOILERS!]

Caley Tibbittz
02-04-2007, 12:29 PM
They should divide it into three movies, each directly adapting four issues worth of the book at a time, in order, as presented in the original comics. That would be an awesome trilogy, with some decent cliffhangers between chapters (Jon on Mars, the murder of Hollis Mason).
It would be similar to the approach they used for Sin City, with smaller stories making up a cohesive whole.

Taxman
02-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Movie makers can at times make a silk purse from a sow's ear. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Caley Tibbittz
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Movie makers can at times make a silk purse from a sow's ear. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

It has a chance of being good. But even if it is, I'd still rather see the direct adaptation trilogy.

Foolish Mortal
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I would personally rather see this done as an animated feature, (Done in anime style) than a live-action film. But we know how Hollywood thinks.

But I think the best way Watchmen would work, would be as a limited series like on HBO or Showtime.

LordKinbote
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
They should divide it into three movies, each directly adapting four issues worth of the book at a time, in order, as presented in the original comics. That would be an awesome trilogy, with some decent cliffhangers between chapters (Jon on Mars, the murder of Hollis Mason).
It would be similar to the approach they used for Sin City, with smaller stories making up a cohesive whole.

I completely disagree. There's no way the story can sustain three separate movies.

chess
02-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I think Watchmen would work better as a HBO/Showtime series like Rome.

Taxman
02-04-2007, 12:48 PM
It has a chance of being good. But even if it is, I'd still rather see the direct adaptation trilogy.I think that sort of thing is really the wrong approach for most adaptations. Almost ever adapted film is going to be seen by many more people than will ever be exposed to the source material. The first priorty really needs to be to make a quality film. Whether it is "faithful to the book" really should not be the concern of the film makers in most cases. The film will stand alone for critisism and praise appart from the source material. A film can be a good representation of the source and still be a bad film, and a film can be good without presenting the source well. A film can complement its source without being a direct adaptation, and a film can be far better than the source material. There are numerous variations.

I will say this. In terms of iconic novels, I do not believe that many films have gained the stature of the book. That would make Watchmen very big shoes to fill for the filmmakers, but I don't know that it is really the same with comic books.

Mister Mets
02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I think it could make an excellent 2 1/2 hour movie, but the screenwriters would have to be willing to cut out many of the small things which made Watchmen the comic book so awesome (and will guarantee that the uncut DVD will be awesome.) However, the comic book's sensibility is very much in line with recent movies like Crash, and Babel, so writers can have experience with that storytelling sensibility.

Or they could make it into two movies.
Part 1 would show the events of the first five issues culminating in Rorschach's escape. Events from "Under the Hood" would be portrayed as part of a TV spotlight on Hollis Mason

Part 2 would show the events from Issues 6-12, split by chapter.

Dark Sasha
02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I think the only one who would be capable of making a fantastic Watchmen movie would be Stanley Kubrick. Too bad that will never happen.

LordKinbote
02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I think the only one who would be capable of making a fantastic Watchmen movie would be Stanley Kubrick. Too bad that will never happen.

I think it was actually LESS likely when he was alive.

JBElliott
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I think Watchmen would work better as a HBO/Showtime series like Rome.

Ditto. They can take the time they need, but not half to strech.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
This thread just reminded me that I have the Watchmen script and yet to read it. :)

Although that's probably a good thing.

Ben
02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
It should be a miniseries on HBO.

RegularJoe
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
i don't think it should be a movie. at all.

hollywood, here this - stop adapting stuff! make new stuff!

RebootedCorpse
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I just have zero desire to see a movie made from this book.
It's so steeped in comic book images, I don't see that translating.

Patrick J
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Fuck that.

I'd rather see an HBO Original Series adaptation of Watchmen. It'd provide the most time to fit in everything and make it a truly good and faithful adaptation.

Skatonic10
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
One movie or three... its going to not be good.

I've read old versions of the script and they just get way to bogged down in the character development, to the point where you stop caring because you want to know who the murderer is already.

I have the same problem with the story itself. They start off with this killer openingg (no pun intended), then they introduce all of these great-ish characters... then they start telling you shit you don't care about for 6 issues... then they finally get back to the murder.

The movie is either going to be 2 1/2 hours long, or its going to cut out everyone's favorite parts.

Ben
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Fuck that.

I'd rather see an HBO Original Series adaptation of Watchmen. It'd provide the most time to fit in everything and make it a truly good and faithful adaptation.If you need to turn it into a series or miniseries to "fit in everything," you shouldn't really bother adapting it.

TheKraken
02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I should be a miniseries on HBO.

You should?

Ben
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
You should?Yes, but that's beside the point.

HCMarvel
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
i once read that a masterpiece is something that perfects the medium it is done in. It would seem like Watchmen is so good, BECAUSE it is a comic book. Just like Seinfeld would have been a horrible movie, Ulysses would be a shit comic book, and something like Citizen Kane would have been a very average.forgettable book

Tim Simmons
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
This thread just reminded me that I have the Watchmen script and yet to read it. :)

Although that's probably a good thing.

The David Hayter one? I read it, it's actually not that bad. Pretty much a skilled exercise in adaptation and compression.

Albert
02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, but that's beside the point.

It would be "Sex and the City" meets "And The Band Played On."

Ben
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
It would be "Sex and the City" meets "And The Band Played On."http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8991/881boldnbeautifulmandriws5.jpg

Caley Tibbittz
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
i once read that a masterpiece is something that perfects the medium it is done in. It would seem like Watchmen is so good, BECAUSE it is a comic book. Just like Seinfeld would have been a horrible movie, Ulysses would be a shit comic book, and something like Citizen Kane would have been a very average.forgettable book

I based the premise of this thread on the fact that Sin City made both a great comic and a great movie, with nearly identical visuals and script.

Simps
02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I based the premise of this thread on the fact that Sin City made both a great comic and a great movie, with nearly identical visuals and script.
Sin City was separate stories with complete narratives on their own. Each had a beginning, middle, and end. Watchmen isn't the same.

HCMarvel
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Sin City was separate stories with complete narratives on their own. Each had a beginning, middle, and end. Watchmen isn't the same.

Sin City is also not a masterpiece in either form. I'm talking, the height of certain medium (Watchman and Maus, Ulysses and Moby Dick, etc.) usually can't translate well

jason hissong
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
i think watchmen is perfect just the way it is.

Simps
02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Sin City is also not a masterpiece in either form. I'm talking, the height of certain medium (Watchman and Maus, Ulysses and Moby Dick, etc.) usually can't translate well
I'm not arguing your point. My response to Tibbitz was that you can't use Sin City as an example of how Watchmen should be done because the 2 stories are structured completely differently.

HCMarvel
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm not arguing your point. My response to Tibbitz was that you can't use Sin City as an example of how Watchmen should be done because the 2 stories are structured completely differently.

good point

Icaruss
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
There was a reason the 12 chapter miniseries approach excited everyone. Darren Areno-I-Don't-Know-What should have stuck with that, rather than moving on to The Fountain.

I still have my hopes up, but we have to see how 300 does.

Tim Simmons
02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
i think watchmen is perfect just the way it is.

I agree with you there--

A crappy Watchmen movie isn't going to take anything away from the book- Just like how "From Hell" doesn't take anything away from that book...

- Put it to you this way, if someone went out and made a asstastic graphic novel out of Citizen Kane, the movie would still be taught in every film 101 class.