PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports says that McDonald's Coffee 'no flaws'; Rates Better than Starbuck's

Shwicaz
02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
McDonald's coffee bests Starbucks

Coffee snobs get their comeuppance in the March issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

The magazine reportedly says McDonald's Premium Roast Coffee has "no flaws," labeling it "decent and moderately strong." The java from Starbucks, meanwhile, was determined to be "strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open."

The testers also ranked coffee from Burger King and privately held Dunkin' Donuts, which claims to serve nearly a billion cups a year. Neither stood up to the competition, the magazine said.

Burger King's brew "looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water," the report states, while Dunkin's "was inoffensive, but it had no oomph."

McDonald's was not only the best tasting, but was also found to be the least expensive cup, the magazine said. (AP)

Who'dathunkit?

NickT
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I like McDonalds Hot Chocolate.

Taxman
02-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I went to a Starbuck's for the first time ever last week. I thought that the coffee was terrible.

jason hissong
02-03-2007, 06:53 PM
starbucks coffee is not good.

i've never had mcdonald's coffe, and i never will.

Jerome Gibbons
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
I went to a Starbuck's for the first time ever last week. I thought that the coffee was terrible.

I thought the same thing after I tried Starbucks for the first time last year (or maybe it was the year before). My dad and my sister love it, though.

Taxman
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
i've never had mcdonald's coffe, and i never will.You will when you are 70. All old guys sit around at McDonald's and get "senior coffee".

Shane W
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Starbucks is not in the business of selling coffee, Starbucks is in the business of selling "hospitality".

Mr. E!
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
What about Duncan Donuts? Duncan is the king of coffee.

Taxman
02-03-2007, 07:10 PM
What about Duncan Donuts? Duncan is the king of coffee.They're not really national though.

Mr. E!
02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
They're not really national though.

I know...that's just so...wrong.

Afny
02-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I refuse to go into mcdonalds and drink their dirty coffee.

Shane W
02-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I know...that's just so...wrong.

They used to be here, but Krispy Kreme killed them.

Taxman
02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I know...that's just so...wrong.I wonder, in Boston are their more Starbuck's or more Duncan Donuts?

SethInAz
02-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Dunkin' is forever king!

Starbucks tastes terrible, but the coffee snobs just tell you that burnt and bitter is how coffee is SUPPOSED to taste.

Vonn Hennigar
02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Dear god, what would happen if these douches drank real coffee like TIM Motherfucking HORTONS?

Tim's truly is god's brew.

Mr. E!
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Dear god, what would happen if these douches drank real coffee like TIM Motherfucking HORTONS?

Tim's truly is god's brew.

Oh hell yeah. Tim Horton's coffee is nectar of the gods. But Americans can only get it in the a few select states.

Mr. E!
02-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I wonder, in Boston are their more Starbuck's or more Duncan Donuts?

Oh, Duncan, no doubt.

JoeE
02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
There is nothing worse than bitter coffee. Yuck.

JoeE
02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Dunkin' is forever king!

Starbucks tastes terrible, but the coffee snobs just tell you that burnt and bitter is how coffee is SUPPOSED to taste.

I'm a big fan of French Roast. Strength without bitterness.

WillieLee
02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Starbucks is not in the business of selling coffee, Starbucks is in the business of selling "hospitality".

Handjobs?

JoeE
02-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Starbucks has good frozen drinks, but those aren't really coffee at all. They just have coffee flavor. Also, they will evacuate your colon in a heartbeat.

Bill?
02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
they're regular coffee yeah. but some of their fancy espresso flavored drink things are pretty ok. frappuccinos or whatever the fuck they call them.

Shane W
02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Handjobs?

Sure, you buyin'?

sonnylarue
02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Mac has improved their coffee, but I still prefer starbucks.

If you drink it black, starbusk does tatse burnt, but I'm a half & Half with one sugar guy.

(like anyone gives a flying fuck) ;)

CapnChaos
02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I always thought Starbucks didn't really care about coffee. Their main business was selling other drinks where they added a bunch of stuff to coffee so that you couldn't taste it anymore.

We're getting one in my hometown and I can't believe they're probably going to put the actual coffee houses out of business. Doesn't really matter to me, because I don't drink the stuff. But it seems like people are over-excited just like when the new Super Wal-Mart came in. (Hooray! Poor quality goods at mediocre prices!)

Shwicaz
02-04-2007, 04:11 AM

If you read the first post in this thread, you will see that Dunkin' Donuts is mentioned.

dEnny!
02-04-2007, 04:17 AM

That depends on which Starbucks you go to. There is one on my way to work that is completely focused on the drive thru at the expense of the customers inside. I saw three cars with multiple drinks get served in the time it took to serve me.

Bill Nolan
02-04-2007, 04:29 AM
I wonder, in Boston are their more Starbuck's or more Duncan Donuts?

Dunkin' Donuts is everywhere in New England. I live just over the border in New Hampshire and there are, no lie, 15 Dunkin Donuts within 10 minutes of my house. There are places where you can see one while sitting in another one.

- B

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Handjobs?

No. That would be what you'd get if Starbucks was into happy endings.

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 04:46 AM
If you read the first post in this thread, you will see that Dunkin' Donuts is mentioned.

Personally, I blame you for my not seeing it. You put certain sections in bold, so I immediately gravitated to those sections, believing them to be the most important. Obviously, they were not. I will forgive you for incorrect bolding this time, but please don't let it happen again.

xyzzy
02-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Dunkin' is forever king!

Coffee snobs don't like Starbucks, either. They'll either like some small local business or they'll only brew their own. Snobs will never endorse a chain.

Brian Defferding
02-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Never had McDonalds coffee before. Starbucks is okay; I like Caribou Coffee and Dunn Bros. better.

Masculine Todd
02-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Not being a straight coffee drinker, I cannot comment on most of these allegations, but for those who rip on Starbucks, I'm quite sure they don't sell their coffee, nor do they make their money off it, to the extent they push and promote their coffee-blended-flavored drinks. Their froven frappucinos are excellent...if slightly overpriced.

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Not being a straight coffee drinker, I cannot comment on most of these allegations, but for those who rip on Starbucks, I'm quite sure they don't sell their coffee, nor do they make their money off it, to the extent they push and promote their coffee-blended-flavored drinks. Their froven frappucinos are excellent...if slightly overpriced.

And don't forget: they are chock full of fat. A large frap has more fat grams than a big mac value meal. It's coffee flavored pudding with ice mixed in.

Masculine Todd
02-04-2007, 07:26 AM
And don't forget: they are chock full of fat. A large frap has more fat grams than a big mac value meal. It's coffee flavored pudding with ice mixed in.

Actually, most of the fat is in the cream-rich whipped cream they use on top. If you eliminate that and ask for it without, a venti Mocha frappuccino runs around 7 or 8 grams of fat. In addition, they have light versions of your favorite frappuccino's which, when drank without whipped cream, feature roughly 3 grams of fat per venti frap with almost a third less calories.

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Actually, most of the fat is in the cream-rich whipped cream they use on top. If you eliminate that and ask for it without, a venti Mocha frappuccino runs around 7 or 8 grams of fat. In addition, they have light versions of your favorite frappuccino's which, when drank without whipped cream, feature roughly 3 grams of fat per venti frap with almost a third less calories.

Well damn. I was about to tell you how full of shit you are, but it turns out you're right. It is the whipped cream. However, it's still far from health food :)

Masculine Todd
02-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Well damn. I was about to tell you how full of shit you are, but it turns out you're right. It is the whipped cream. However, it's still far from health food :)

I've done my research. :smile:

But mostly anything you get from a chain that tastes half-way edible isn't "health food".

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I've done my research. :smile:

But mostly anything you get from a chain that tastes half-way edible isn't "health food".

You mean my Double Quarter Pounder with extra cheese and mayo, jumbo fries and a coke isn't good for me? Noooooooooooo!:cry:

The reason why I questioned your research is because when I used to sling fraps at Barnes & Noble, we used Reddi-whip, it it only has 12 calories. I guess at "real" Starbucks, they use real whipped cream.

Masculine Todd
02-04-2007, 08:00 AM
You mean my Double Quarter Pounder with extra cheese and mayo, jumbo fries and a coke isn't good for me? Noooooooooooo!:cry:

The reason why I questioned your research is because when I used to sling fraps at Barnes & Noble, we used Reddi-whip, it it only has 12 calories. I guess at "real" Starbucks, they use real whipped cream.

I used to work at a B&N starbucks myself and we did the Reddi Whip until late 2004 when our store received a mandate from up high that we were to use Starbucks brand rich cream. That shit is a heartattack waiting to happen.

WillieLee
02-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Sure, you buyin'?

Why not? They're cheaper than the coffee.

Taki Soma
02-04-2007, 08:17 AM
I had McD coffee twice. First time, I was convinced I had never had better coffee. Then the second time, I was convinced it was just colored hot water.

Taxman
02-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Dunkin' Donuts is everywhere in New England. I live just over the border in New Hampshire and there are, no lie, 15 Dunkin Donuts within 10 minutes of my house. There are places where you can see one while sitting in another one.

- BI've been . . .

Probably the only place I could say anything close to that in this town is Starbuck's.

kylethoreau
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
huh look at that....my manager will be happy.

however I will argue that BK coffee is better.

Caley Tibbittz
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I like Starbucks, but only in mocha form. With whipped cream and the half and half.

Fusion
02-04-2007, 09:35 AM
You too would make sure your coffee didn't have any flaws too if some bitch sued you for spilling coffee on herself.

sans serif
02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
You will when you are 70. All old guys sit around at McDonald's and get "senior coffee".

My grandparents used to go to their local McDonald's and get coffee every morning through the drive-through. It got to the point where that McDonald's created a "Customer of the Month" award specifically for them. I'm pretty sure they held that title every month.

c. page
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
i know, at least in WA, that mcdonald's uses seattle's best coffee for their stuff, which is better than starbucks. (although neither is as good as tully's coffee)

JimboX
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Coffee sucks. All of it. You're all sheep. Coffee drinking sheep. Baaaaahhhh....

SethInAz
02-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Coffee snobs don't like Starbucks, either. They'll either like some small local business or they'll only brew their own. Snobs will never endorse a chain.

I'm referring more to the "barristas" that work there. I have a cousin who works at Starbucks, and I'm convinced he likes his coffee dark and bitter just because that's how he was told it was supposed to taste during his training.

Buk Was Right
02-04-2007, 10:08 AM
drink peet's!!!

help pay my rent.

Buk Was Right
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
You too would make sure your coffee didn't have any flaws too if some bitch sued you for spilling coffee on herself.

once again someone quotes this case as the benchmark for frivilous lawsuit without knowing the whole truth...

that coffee was nuclear hot and they'd been warned numerous times to look into it.

that woman had to have skin grafts on her fucking crotch... that's too hot for coffee to be.

Masculine Todd
02-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm referring more to the "barristas" that work there.

"Barristas"?

Albert
02-04-2007, 10:34 AM

Assuming you're not making a weird typo, Dunkin' Donuts was mentioned in the article.

Albert
02-04-2007, 10:36 AM
"Barristas"?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=2688334&postcount=13

Mr. E!
02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Assuming you're not making a weird typo, Dunkin' Donuts was mentioned in the article.

And I'm just gonna assume that you didn't read the rest of the thread before posting that, m'kay?

RebootedCorpse
02-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Sweet.

Marcdachamp
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't really like coffee, but Starbucks makes an amazing toffee bar.

the last ronin
02-04-2007, 01:23 PM
The only time I've ever had Mc dogshits coffee it was decent.

I can't take Starbucks bunt battery acid mixed with floor stripper "coffee"
though their Peppermint mochas are like fucking crack to me.

In Sandiego I was going to be late for a DC thing so I got a large mint chip frappichino thing. And I didn't need to eat all day, no wonder as it has like 2000 calories or something.