PDA

View Full Version : OYL Titans\Jericho Question with SPOILERS

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 06:41 PM
SPOILERS!!!

After the OYL jump, we have seen Jericho rejoin the Titans in a new body and a much different attitude than he had when he was reintroduced back in the first Johns issues. I was wondering where the change from shooting Impulse in the kneecap and trying to dismantle the Titans to teammate came from? Did I miss something in the previous arc (which is possible). Was this ever explained and if so how? As it stands, it feels like his previous characterization was replaced by the new Jericho so that it may add a different depth to the currenty Titans East storyline, but the reasoning behind it feels like it is taking the cheap or easy way out. Can someone fill me in?

Vonn Hennigar
02-03-2007, 06:44 PM
But... Deathstroke shot Impulse in the knee-cap :?

jason hissong
02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
and what happened to his fro?

Joe Henderson
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Jericho was in control of Deathstroke's body at the time.

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Pssst!

Deathstroke was being inhabited by Jericho when he shot Impulse in the knee cap.

Don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

Edit: Awwww, dammit Joe!

Vonn Hennigar
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Jericho was in control of Deathstroke's body at the time.

In control or simply hiding in there in his subconsious?

If he was in control then he was in control for what almost 20 years?

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know, but I swear to God, I have never seen a bigger waste of a character. That's a slot that could have gone to Anarky, Outburst, Osiris, or any other number of kick-ass young heroes who are currently languishing in limbo. Much as I'll miss Geoff on the book, I greatly hope that Jericho is sent shuffling back off to limbo when Beechen takes over.

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
In control or simply hiding in there in his subconsious?

If he was in control then he was in control for what almost 20 years?

I believe the explanation was that Jericho had been gathering his strength for a number of years after having been very weak because of almost being dead when he made the jump. When he saw that the Titans were reforming, he decided to make his move and take control of Deathstroke. I also imagine it's a bit harder to take over Deathstroke than it is any regular guy off the street.

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 06:58 PM
And why can't he talk? He has a new, undamaged body! And he had no problem talking when he was in spirit form.

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know, but I swear to God, I have never seen a bigger waste of a character. That's a slot that could have gone to Anarky, Outburst, Osiris, or any other number of kick-ass young heroes who are currently languishing in limbo. Much as I'll miss Geoff on the book, I greatly hope that Jericho is sent shuffling back off to limbo when Beechen takes over.

I don't know if I agree on the "slot" being wasted on Jericho, but it bothers me that Johns has really just done a 180 on his own characterization of Jericho. Also, the fact that everyone has accepted him with open arms and little doubt leaves me puzzled.

Well, that and the whole Cassandra explanation. It, in my opinion, doesn't jive with hoe she was earlier in Robin, but eh, what can you do?

Joe Henderson
02-03-2007, 07:06 PM

I just want them to bring Superboy and Bart back.

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know if I agree on the "slot" being wasted on Jericho, but it bothers me that Johns has really just done a 180 on his own characterization of Jericho. Also, the fact that everyone has accepted him with open arms and little doubt leaves me puzzled.

Well, that and the whole Cassandra explanation. It, in my opinion, doesn't jive with hoe she was earlier in Robin, but eh, what can you do?

In the case of Batgirl, I get the feeling that was a quick fix for an extremely unpopular storyline. I hope if I make enough noise on the ComicBloc boards, Johns will reveal that Match's retardation is just a result of some drugs Slade is giving him to slow the degeneration.

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
I just want them to bring Superboy and Bart back.

Agreed! And so does Geoff, it seems. He basically said that getting rid of them was not his decision, he fought against it(especially in the case of Conner), and while he did his best to recreate the team in their absence, his heart just wasn't in it anymore.

Afny
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
And why can't he talk? He has a new, undamaged body! And he had no problem talking when he was in spirit form.

I'm not reading titans right now, but he can't talk?! That makes me so mad! Jericho could always talk when he was in someone else's body or in spirit form! It's not like he was emotionally traumatized, he just got slashed in the neck!

Joe Henderson
02-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Agreed! And so does Geoff, it seems. He basically said that getting rid of them was not his decision, he fought against it(especially in the case of Conner), and while he did his best to recreate the team in their absence, his heart just wasn't in it anymore.

Yeah, I got the same impression from the newsarama interview. He gave it a shot, but when you remove the two hearts of a book, it's tough to bounce back from that. It's such a shame; there were so many stories they could have told with those characters. Now, no more Conner and a Bart who doesn't act anything like the great character he used to be.

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 07:10 PM

It feels like Geoff has had to fight a lot of battles over characters at DC. Nightwing, Superboy, Kid Flash, and who knows whom else. I really took Giffen's comments on DC's editorial in a recent interview, stating that editorial was very hands on with the books, to heart and I just hope that writers keep winning certain battles like getting these characters back in books like Titans or even alive.

Mr. E!
02-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not reading titans right now, but he can't talk?! That makes me so mad! Jericho could always talk when he was in someone else's body or in spirit form! It's not like he was emotionally traumatized, he just got slashed in the neck!

I was kinda hoping that he just hasn't realized that he can't talk yet.

Raphael J
02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Times like this, I wish Bendis would write for DC. He'd have Kid Flash/Flash show up and remind everyone about getting shot in the knee by this goofy ass kid with a 'fro. Just a little speech like Spider-Man's comments about Scarlet Witch marrying a robot (as seen in Avengers Disassembled).

It'd be money.

Vonn Hennigar
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I thought it was pretty clear Slade was in control of his own self most of the time especially when he shot Bart.

Jericho's influence was very small and really helped explain away Slade in the 90's as being a characterization of Jericho/Slade.

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Times like this, I wish Bendis would write for DC. He'd have Kid Flash/Flash show up and remind everyone about getting shot in the knee by this goofy ass kid with a 'fro. Just a little speech like Spider-Man's comments about Scarlet Witch marrying a robot (as seen in Avengers Disassembled).

It'd be money.

At which point, Conner would show up again mid-arc, and so much would be happening and we'd all be so happy to see him that we wouldn't even question how he came back. :)

I would die from glee if Bendis ever wrote for DC, but I doubt it'll happen.

Ray G.
02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
It feels like Geoff has had to fight a lot of battles over characters at DC. Nightwing, Superboy, Kid Flash, and who knows whom else. I really took Giffen's comments on DC's editorial in a recent interview, stating that editorial was very hands on with the books, to heart and I just hope that writers keep winning certain battles like getting these characters back in books like Titans or even alive.

It's unconfirmed, but rumors say that Geoff fought very hard to save Kyle Rayner from death over in Green Lantern: Rebirth. Maybe changing Kyle to Ion so as not to take the GL focus away from Hal was the compromise they reached.

TheTravis!
02-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Jericho, at the time of his "death",was possessed by the spirits of Azarath. I asusmed (perhaps incorrectly), that the Jericho who possessed Slade was the Azarath-tainted soul of Jericho, and that the Jericho that came back recently was purged of that evil influence.

Maybe I'm just making shit up, though. It's possible.

Kirblar
02-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Can't really bring myself to care, seeing as how I'm dropping the book once Geoff leaves.

He'd actually might be a good followup to Whedon on Runaways, but it'd be a stretch, as he's much more traditional.

Raphael J
02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I had another question, so I figured I'd put it here instead of making another thread.

Why, at the end of Infinite Crisis, was Batgirl not invited on Bruce, Tim, and Dick's little cruise? Why was she left behind? What was going on in her book that warranted her missing that trip out. The other Gotham heroes, like Huntress and Oracle, had another support system/their own book, but Batgirl was seemingly out there all on her own. What happened?

Vonn Hennigar
02-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I had another question, so I figured I'd put it here instead of making another thread.

Why, at the end of Infinite Crisis, was Batgirl not invited on Bruce, Tim, and Dick's little cruise? Why was she left behind? What was going on in her book that warranted her missing that trip out. The other Gotham heroes, like Huntress and Oracle, had another support system/their own book, but Batgirl was seemingly out there all on her own. What happened?

She has a vagina thus not welcome on the Bat-Boys "Cruise" :-?

kylethoreau
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
wasn't she on the road with Oracle?

and I vote in favor of returning Bart and Connor........

The Zevad
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Jericho, at the time of his "death",was possessed by the spirits of Azarath. I asusmed (perhaps incorrectly), that the Jericho who possessed Slade was the Azarath-tainted soul of Jericho, and that the Jericho that came back recently was purged of that evil influence.

Maybe I'm just making shit up, though. It's possible.

No you're right. It was in the same issue she bought him back. Raven purged Joseph/Jericho of the corrupted souls of Azarath. That's why he's back to normal. As for his voice. I don't know. Maybe he's afraid to talk. Maybe he doens't know he can since he's back to himself again. He might even associate talking with evil as when he talked he was under the influence of Azarath and chooses not to talk. Maybe Raven messed up and this body is lacking vocal cords. Who knows.