PDA

View Full Version : Ed Helms "Office" regular, or why the Best Week Ever blog sucks

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Ed Helms is now going to be a regular on The Office - I'm psyched for it (his character has been about my favorite part of this season) but other people aren't, apparently - http://www.bestweekever.tv/2007/02/01/bad-news-for-office-fans-good-news-for-ed-helms/#comments

I really don't get their beef - that the character is annoying? Isn't that the whole point of the character?

Jim T.
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I think he's great. I can see why people would be annoyed by him but that's kind of hte point of the character. I'm actually glad they took a chance this early in the series' life and mixed in a bunch of new characters, rather than just keeping the same cast season after season.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
I think he's great. I can see why people would be annoyed by him but that's kind of hte point of the character. I'm actually glad they took a chance this early in the series' life and mixed in a bunch of new characters, rather than just keeping the same cast season after season.

Exactly. The last thing I want to see happen is the show giving up and becoming just another mediocre sitcom that never changes.

SteveZegers
02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I think they missed the point. My concern was that with all the new characters, the older ones wouldn't get much screentime. Hasn't really been a problem yet.

Sy-Klone
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Great news.

Seriously, the character is annoying, but that's the point. Every office has the Office Douchebag. This makes the show even more realistic.

Matt Jay
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I like Helms almost as much as Dwight. This is great news.

Mike
02-01-2007, 10:16 AM
he's annoying. not "funny" annoying, but "makes me want to change the channel" annoying. i'm all for new characters, but helms is a bust.

JoeE
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I just like the fact that he's so annoying even Michael Scott can't stand him. Now they just have to work on getting Ricky Gervais on the show for an episode.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Plus, I really think that someone from the Stamford branch should stick around or else the whole merger plotline would look sort of like a waste of time (not really, but you know).

Fourthman
02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Dwight vs. Helms is the funniest the show gets.

JoeE
02-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Best Andy clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aUj8GXL-FIs

Simps
02-01-2007, 10:34 AM
That doesn't sound good for Rashida Jones' future on the show.

thecheat1
02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I think he's been a great addition to the show. He annoying as all get out and I love how he freaks out and looks like he's going to kill people. I went to school with a guy who was exactly like that.

Artie Pink
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Ed Helms is too over the top. It's not even a little realistic.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Ed Helms is too over the top. It's not even a little realistic.

Yet a lot people have said that they know someone exactly like him. I certainly wouldn't say that it's as obviously over-the-top and out of tone as say, Martin Short on that one episode of "AD."

Artie Pink
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yet a lot people have said that they know someone exactly like him. I certainly wouldn't say that it's as obviously over-the-top and out of tone as say, Martin Short on that one episode of "AD."

Well, no - it's not as bad as that. Nothing is.

Ziolko
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm okay with this. I'm hoping Karen stays, though. I like the dynamic she brings the the Jim/Pam relationship. I actually hope Jim goes with her just to throw everyone off.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, no - it's not as bad as that. Nothing is.

The clips of Paul Reubens on tonight's "30 Rock" episode looks close.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm okay with this. I'm hoping Karen stays, though. I like the dynamic she brings the the Jim/Pam relationship. I actually hope Jim goes with her just to throw everyone off.

More than that I hope Pam gets back with Roy. He seems like such a nice dude these days.

What I really hope is that they don't take the easy way out and start making Karen unlikeable, but I'm afraid they're already kinda doing that.

allanpat
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
That doesn't sound good for Rashida Jones' future on the show.

Yeah, i was wondering the same thing. I hope they don't go the easy route (as it seems like they might) and have her leave the show if Pam & Jim get together.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
On the other hand, if they announce that Rashida's sticking around, people might extrapolate from that and take it as more of a spoiler than Ed Helms becoming a regular.

Ziolko
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
More than that I hope Pam gets back with Roy. He seems like such a nice dude these days.

What I really hope is that they don't take the easy way out and start making Karen unlikeable, but I'm afraid they're already kinda doing that.

I dunno, from the preview it looked like her and Pam were still pals. We'll have to wait and see.

Fourthman
02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
On the other hand, if they announce that Rashida's sticking around, people might extrapolate from that and take it as more of a spoiler than Ed Helms becoming a regular.

Exactly. Locking her in kind of ties the writers' hands as far as how far they can push Karen.

Albert
02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I dunno, from the preview it looked like her and Pam were still pals. We'll have to wait and see.

I hope so. It was mainly the freaking out over Jim still having feelings for Pam giving me pause. And the way the blogosphere works and with so many rabit Jim and Pam 'shippers, just about anything she does can be construed into something hateful...

Ziolko
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I hope so. It was mainly the freaking out over Jim still having feelings for Pam giving me pause. And the way the blogosphere works and with so many rabit Jim and Pam 'shippers, just about anything she does can be construed into something hateful...

I thought her freaking out over Jim and Pam came off as totally reasonable. I would probably do the same. I don't see how anyone can resent that. I mean, it's not like she went out and slashed Jim's tires or anything. I think it's been well done and actually makes me sympathetic towards Karen. But that's just me.

Deej
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
:boogie:

Awesome news!! I think he's such a great addition! He annoys Jim, kisses Michael's butt and is an excellent foil to Dwight! I hope he gets more screen time with the ladies!!

Albert
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I thought her freaking out over Jim and Pam came off as totally reasonable. I would probably do the same. I don't see how anyone can resent that. I mean, it's not like she went out and slashed Jim's tires or anything. I think it's been well done and actually makes me sympathetic towards Karen. But that's just me.

No, I agree, but that's not what a lot of the insane Office fans who think that Jim and Pam are real people think.

Ziolko
02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
No, I agree, but that's not what a lot of the insane Office fans who think that Jim and Pam are real people think.

Yeah, my wife is one of those insane people. ;) We argue about it all the time, though, so I guess I can't say much.

Brian Reed
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM

I have worked a lot of office gigs in a couple of different industries. There has ALWAYS been a guy like him around. My last job had me in a position to fire "that guy" and I did. With aplomb.

I've also had a couple of Dwights in my day, but they're generally easier to deal with.

In fact, I've worked with every character on that show at some point in my life. Thank God it was never all at the same time.

Hennessy
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I loved that in the last new episode (two weeks ago) for once Steve Carell wasn't so over the top. The scenes where he was trying to dodge Andy were great.

Best Week Ever blog and/or show = Assclowns. I try to stay as far away from the snarkiness of VH1. They just make my head hurt.

Jonny Z
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I have worked a lot of office gigs in a couple of different industries. There has ALWAYS been a guy like him around. My last job had me in a position to fire "that guy" and I did. With aplomb.

I've also had a couple of Dwights in my day, but they're generally easier to deal with.

In fact, I've worked with every character on that show at some point in my life. Thank God it was never all at the same time.

did you get to third base with oscar?

modungo
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
he's annoying. not "funny" annoying, but "makes me want to change the channel" annoying. i'm all for new characters, but helms is a bust.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Bob.