PDA

View Full Version : Capullo Is Not A McFarlane Clone.

Donal DeLay
01-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Just because Capullo had/has certain stylistic flares/ticks he uses to add texture to his work doesn't mean he's a Todd clone, or that his art even comes close to resembling Todd's

HALF a second of actually LOOKING and you'd see a world of difference, even in a simple picture of a person in a suit just standing.

That's like calling Leinil Yu a Whilce Portacio clone.
[/rant]

The Roman Candle
01-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Your mom is not a McFarlane clone.

Caley Tibbittz
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
And Ben Reilly is not a Spider-Man clone, dammit!:-x

Petey Parker
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Your mom is not a McFarlane clone.

Oooh snap!

Foolish Mortal
01-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Who the hell said Capullo was a McFarlane clone?? They have a few similarities, but they have very different styles.

Donal DeLay
01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Who the hell said Capullo was a McFarlane clone?? They have a few similarities, but they have very different styles. Just a rant building up from various forums kinda set off by the Todd Spidey thread.

I didn't want it to seem like I was attacking that one guy who was probably making a joke, so I just made a new thread to generalize the pet peeve.

It's working it's way up there to being alongside my Hellboy peeve.

David Aspmo
01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Just because Capullo had/has certain stylistic flares/ticks he uses to add texture to his work doesn't mean he's a Todd clone, or that his art even comes close to resembling Todd's

HALF a second of actually LOOKING and you'd see a world of difference, even in a simple picture of a person in a suit just standing.
And Capullo didn't even have anything close to those similar rendering "flares" before he took over Spawn with McFarlane inking him. He changed his style for that job.

But the underlying structure, figure work, basically everything other than that rendering style in Capullo's work always stayed very different from - and, speaking objectively, much more sophisticated and accomplished than - McFarlane's.

That's like calling Leinil Yu a Whilce Portacio clone.
[/rant]
Well, certainly not anymore, but back in the late '90s when he was doing Wolverine with Larry Hama and Warren Ellis, one could have made that case. Now, he uses a modified version of Travis Charest's rendering style.

David Aspmo

JackBauer
01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see Capullo on Moon Knight.

Donal DeLay
01-26-2007, 02:02 PM
And Capullo didn't even have anything close to those similar rendering "flares" before he took over Spawn with McFarlane inking him. He changed his style for that job.But the underlying structure, figure work, basically everything other than that rendering style in Capullo's work always stayed very different from - and, speaking objectively, much more sophisticated and accomplished than - McFarlane's. Same way 98% of Kubert School graduates have the same "flares" the Kubert family has in all three of their styles while being unique to each artist.

Some people call it "studio style" because generally it happens in a studio environment. McFarlane obviously gave him advice and helped his art grow, but aside from generic texturing they have nothing in common, stylewise.

Put a drawing by each artist of a man in a suit standing, and it's EASY to tell who drew what.

Thommy Melanson
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Angel Medina managed to embrace the "McFarlane" style and still make his hyper-detailed art distinctive.

Kody
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Capullo is AWESOME. He's truly an amazing and inspirational artist. One of my favorites.

I'd love to see him doing his own thing again. Maybe more Creech or something original and fresh from his twisted mind.

Dusty
01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Capullo is good and he is fast. I'd like to see him on Spider-Man or the Hulk.

Bill Nolan
01-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Angel Medina managed to embrace the "McFarlane" style and still make his hyper-detailed art distinctive.

Your mom managed to embrace the "McFarlane" style and still make her hyper-detailed art distinctive!

sorry... :surrend:

- B

Bill Nolan
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Capullo is good and he is fast. I'd like to see him on Spider-Man or the Hulk.

Your mom... nevermind, too easy.

- B

Andrew j
01-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the guy. What is he doing now?

Masculine Todd
01-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I was around five when Spawn first came out, so I didn't pick up on it until around 1997, but when I did, I fell in love. Capullo is still one of my favorite artists, and his art has evolved greatly since his X-Force days and initial aping of McFarlane in the mid-90s. Look at his current Spawn covers. They are these disturbingly painted, rough, angular monsterous, hazy images that are a 360 from McFarlane's style.

I can't wait to see what this guy works on next (I think it's that Batman/Spawn crossover that was supposed to come out last month).

Ozzdo
01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I think Capullo definitely started off as....not a McFarlane clone, exactly, but drawing in his style, definitely. I wouldn't think less of any artist who did that in their early days. It's just a stepping stone do developing their own style. I remember Bryan Hitch used to be a total Alan Davis clone, and then his own distinctive style started emerging from that.

David Aspmo
01-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I think Capullo definitely started off as....not a McFarlane clone, exactly, but drawing in his style, definitely. I wouldn't think less of any artist who did that in their early days. It's just a stepping stone do developing their own style. I remember Bryan Hitch used to be a total Alan Davis clone, and then his own distinctive style started emerging from that.
"Started off"? You must have never seen his X-Force or Quasar or any of the other work he did before he took the job on Spawn - because it looks nothing like McFarlane.

Again, the only thing he's ever had in common with McFarlane was adopting a similar rendering style. And that only happened because he took over Spawn and McFarlane was inking him. Again, he was already a well-established artist with his own style when he took that gig - and in most respects he was actually a more skilled and substantial artist than McFarlane has ever been.

David Aspmo

hellblazer72
01-26-2007, 08:38 PM
i liked his stuff on quasar and x-force better than spawn....i'd like to see him do something removed from the mcfarlaneverse....some marvel or dc work..

SteveFlack
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I was the first person to mention Capullo in the Spidey thread, and I, in no way inferred that Capullo is a McFarlane clone, just that numerous things that McFarlane has been credited with over the years, where obviously drawn by Capullo, and slightly embellished by McFarlane, and he gets all the credit. Look at the Korn album cover. It reeks of Capullo, and yet, everyone was like "Todd McFarlane! Todd McFarlane!"

-Steve!

Corwin: Bear Fighter
01-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Just a rant building up from various forums kinda set off by the Todd Spidey thread.

I didn't want it to seem like I was attacking that one guy who was probably making a joke, so I just made a new thread to generalize the pet peeve.

It's working it's way up there to being alongside my Hellboy peeve.

Your peeves are pretty silly.

innocentboy
01-27-2007, 01:02 AM
xxx123

bradical
01-27-2007, 01:04 AM
cloned.

:)

innocentboy
01-27-2007, 01:51 AM
xxx123

Donal DeLay
01-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I was the first person to mention Capullo in the Spidey thread, and I, in no way inferred that Capullo is a McFarlane clone, just that numerous things that McFarlane has been credited with over the years, where obviously drawn by Capullo, and slightly embellished by McFarlane, and he gets all the credit. Look at the Korn album cover. It reeks of Capullo, and yet, everyone was like "Todd McFarlane! Todd McFarlane!"

-Steve! Like I said, it was a rant building up from various boards and threads, and your post just set it off. BECAUSE I didn't want it to seem like an attack on YOU I made it it's own general bitchy pet peeve thread.

So, don't take offense to it. :D

jason hissong
01-27-2007, 11:26 AM
capullo looks exactly like mcfarlane

modungo
01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Isn't there someway to turn this into a joke about McFarlane's million dollar balls? Isn't that what the internet is for?

Donal DeLay
01-27-2007, 11:40 AM
capullo looks exactly like mcfarlane
*stab*

TheKraken
01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Their art isn't the same, but he even changed his signature to look like Todd's once he started working for him. His style owes way more to Todd than you seem willing to accept. Anyone who's seen his art from before he worked on Spawn can see that...

Donal DeLay
01-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Their art isn't the same, but he even changed his signature to look like Todd's once he started working for him. His style owes way more to Todd than you seem willing to accept. Anyone who's seen his art from before he worked on Spawn can see that... I'm not saying his art hasn't been influenced. It has, like I said. His style developed based on the things Todd taught him.

But for fuck's sake, they still don't look alike.