PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder recommendations

baldonetoo
01-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm getting my wife a camcorder for her birthday and I don't know much about anything concerning them.

I'd like to keep the price under or around the mid-$300s. Any camcorder or video junkies on the board got any recommendations?

We're not planning anything high-tech with it...just would like a solid one with good options for whenever we start a family.

I see everywhere that the Canon Elura 100 is a favorite, both critically and consumer. I'm having trouble finding it locally, though.

Thanks ahead of time,

KC

glk
01-23-2007, 08:25 AM
The Canon Elura is a good machine for the price. Try checking out www. cnet.com for reviews. I bought a Panasonic, but they're around $500. I would stay away from Sony and DVD camcorders though. Sony is way overpriced and the DVD camcorders don't have as good quality as a DV camcorder. But check-out CNET for reviews.

Happy Time Harry
01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I just bought an Elura 100 a couple of months back & I love it. Very easy to use, very easy to transfer formats, and you can't beat the price. I had trouble finding it in stores myself; try Circut City. That's where I found mine.

Modok Gas
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Some things you may want to keep in mind.

I'm not sure if other camcorders have the nightshoot feature like Sony camcorders that let you shoot in complete darkness.

If you do editing in the future, look for an IEE 1394 (aka FireWire aka i.Link) output. Some also have a USB 2.0 output. Guess these are all pretty common now, but it's good to watch out for. These outputs also let you transfer to a DVR cleanly.

Go to a electronics store and try out the camcorder ahead of time. Personally, I hate camcorders that have a vertical orientation instead of a horizontal one.

Ignore the digital zoom... it tends to be blurry and shakey. Pay more attention to the optical zoom.

For the most part, mini DV or other magnetic tape has a longer shelf life than recordable DVD's due to the inks on the DVD-R's. So be prepared to make more frequent back-ups with DVD-R's.

When you buy tapes, avoid 90 minute Mini DV tapes since the tape is thinner and more prone to snapping. Also stick with the same brand all the time. For example, a premium model of tape or the tape found in your local Costco. I've read that video geeks do that.... different tapes have different compositions. When you switch brands often, it's supposed to lead to build-up on the video heads inside the camcorder.