kritty
01-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Dont give up yet guys!!!

here's my recap:
week 0 260
week 1 no weigh
week 2 258.2
week 3 255.0

i was sick too so i did not exercise much (major throat issues accompanied with a fever)

next week i will lose a bit more with the exercise video. i have been eating really well, except for cane's the other night (cane's is fried chicken strips - i had 3), but no more of that.

Bill Nolan
01-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Dont give up yet guys!!!

My string of horrible weeks continues! I'm really going to refocus this week and make this work.

Up this week to 204. Which is 1 pound about my week 0 weigh-in, dammit!

- B

Good & Evil
01-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Holding steady at 178 this morning. My muscle definition is becoming more noticeable and I feel more energetic without the need for caffeine.

As Kritty said, keep it up everyone. Weight loss is not linear from week to week, but appears linear over the course of a couple of months. You will have some variance from one week to the other, up or down. The main thing is consistency, so keep it up!

Jim T.
01-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Gained 1 to go to 201. I slacked off the elliptical last week. Won't let that happen this week.

Smokinblues
01-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I was at 241 this morning.

Feinbird
01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Down to 198 this morning. Down 2 from last week. That makes 7 since Jan 1, and 20 since Nov 1!

noble
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Down to 190 as of this morning.

Down 2 from last week.

That's a total of 8 lost since the start.

25 more to go :D

Shane W
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I had freezy cold weather and instead of working out indoors, I whined about not being able to run outside. So, I lost a grand total of 2/10th of a pound.

DAVE
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Is it too late to join this thread?

Shane W
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Is it too late to join this thread?

Nope.

DAVE
01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Nope.

Cool, I'll be in Wednesday. Getting my starting weight tomorrow night.

Shane W
01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Cool, I'll be in Wednesday. Getting my starting weight tomorrow night.

Sounds good, just make sure you stay with it every week!

DAVE
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Sounds good, just make sure you stay with it every week!

I will. That's the reason I put off joining til now.

Constant Reader
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Start: 340
Week 1: 340
Week 2: 338
Week 3: 336

It ain't much, but it's consistent!

CR

ItsDLEVY
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
202 / 25%
(down from 205 / 24% last week, 208/24% week before and 211/25% at the start).

Not sure why the % went up, but then again, I'm not sure I understand how shooting a current through my feet can determine my BMI.

Mxy
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Im down to 223.. But i think i blew it, these weekend i completly lost my diet.

saymama
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Dont give up yet guys!!!

here's my recap:
week 0 260
week 1 no weigh
week 2 258.2
week 3 255.0

i was sick too so i did not exercise much (major throat issues accompanied with a fever)

next week i will lose a bit more with the exercise video. i have been eating really well, except for cane's the other night (cane's is fried chicken strips - i had 3), but no more of that.

wrong, cane's is food with crack!

and I gonna start walking again tonight!

ChrisCollins
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
202 / 25%
(down from 205 / 24% last week, 208/24% week before and 211/25% at the start).

Not sure why the % went up, but then again, I'm not sure I understand how shooting a current through my feet can determine my BMI.

Changes in the density of fat also change the resistance on an electrical current run through the fat tissue. My guess is that it is measuring the amount of water in the tissue, and thus your measured BMI could fluctuate depending on profusion of the tissues in your feet or renal function etc.

I usually go with a standard table of BMIs, but that's just me. I just passed a milestone going from a 30 to 29 (I'm officially just overweight and not obese :boogie: ) I'm down to 230 from 300 in August, so any of you guys thinking about giving up, it can be done, you just have to stay positive and eventually you'll start seeing the results (as well as parts of your body you haven't seen in a while. :) )

And for those interested here's a handy BMI calculator courtesy of the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm

Taki Soma
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM
still the same as before... -2lbs from the first week.

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 05:07 PM
down 6.6 pounds to 291.2

Start: 311.9
1st week: 302.6
2nd week: 297.8
3rd week: 291.2

Shannon Chenoweth
01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Gotta weigh myself tomorrow morning. I don't think I lost anything though. I didn't cheat but I just get that feeling since I didn't work out as much as I need to.

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
And for those interested here's a handy BMI calculator courtesy of the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm

i've never liked those stupid charts. i used to weigh 205 in high school and i was in excellent shape. i ran 12.5 miles a week and had almost no fat on me.
according to those charts, i was clocking in at a 27 BMI, which is overweight.
that's bogus.

it doesn't take into account body type or anything. just weight and height. it's far too inaccurate.

i would imagine ItsDLEVY's test is a much more accurate.

JMP
01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Down another 2 lbs. from last week, to 176, which is 10 pounds less than the first weigh-in.

Shade
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm gonna start on wednesday too. Just gotta find a scale to use.

ItsDLEVY
01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
it doesn't take into account body shape or anything. just weight and height. it's far too inaccurate.

The whole point of BMI is that your weight at a particular height could mean vastly different things if the weight if caused by fat vs muscle.

That said, I'm still not convinced that the creepy scale test is accurate. When I used to work out with a trainer, she had this scary tool that would pinch my fat in different places, and the numbers it generated somehow calculated BMI.

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
The whole point of BMI is that your weight at a particular height could mean vastly different things if the weight if caused by fat vs muscle.

That said, I'm still not convinced that the creepy scale test is accurate. When I used to work out with a trainer, she had this scary tool that would pinch my fat in different places, and the numbers it generated somehow calculated BMI.

are you sure you're not confusing BMI with body fat percentage? they are very different.

ItsDLEVY
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
are you sure you're not confusing BMI with body fat percentage? they are very different.

very very possible. what's the difference?

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 06:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

Body mass index

Body mass index (BMI) or Quetelet Index is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

Body fat percentage

Body fat percentage is an estimate of the fraction of the total body mass that is adipose tissue(or referred to as Fat Mass), as opposed to lean body mass (muscle, bone, organ tissue, blood, and everything else) or referred to as Fat Free Mass. This index is often used as a means to monitor progress during a diet or as a measure of physical fitness for certain sports, such as body building. It is more accurate as a measure of excess body weight than body mass index (BMI) since it differentiate between the weight of muscle mass and that of the fat mass while BMI lump all masses into one figure. However, its popularity is less than BMI because equipment required to perform the body fat percentage is not readily available and skills are required to perform the measurement. Even when measured by a skillful person, there are factors that contribute to a signficant margin of error.

Total body fat percentage consists of essential fat and storage fat. Essential fat is that amount necessary for maintenance of life and reproductive functions. The percentage for women is greater than that for men, due to the demands of childbearing and other hormonal functions. Essential fat is 2-5% in men, and 10-13% in women. Storage fat consists of fat accumulation in adipose tissue, part of which protects internal organs in the chest and abdomen. Again, women have slightly more than men. The minimum recommended total body fat percentage exceeds the essential fat percentage value reported above.[2]

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 06:08 PM

from your description here, it sounds like she was actually calculating your body fat percentage.

those measuring tools are a little scary looking.
:)

ItsDLEVY
01-22-2007, 06:09 PM
from your description here, it sounds like she was actually calculating your body fat percentage.

those measuring tools are a little scary looking.
:)

Yes, that's right. And that's what my scale is doing by shooting its electro-rays through my feet. I think. I don't know what my BMI is. But I suppose I could find out. Not sure why I care.

Shannon Chenoweth
01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
What are you guys doing to work out? Are you walking/running, biking, going to the gym?

ItsDLEVY
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
What are you guys doing to work out? Are you walking/running, biking, going to the gym?

nothing, yet

Shannon Chenoweth
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
nothing, yet

Yeah, I've walked a bit, but not nearly what I need to be doing. I work 8-5 five days a week, so I have to either force myself up at 5:30am instead of 6am or do something post work. I'm just so tired. That's my goal this week, MAKE myself really get into exercising. Eating well is great, but only half the battle.

Pat Loika
01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Week 1: 288
Week 2: 287
Week 3: 284

P>

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I've walked a bit, but not nearly what I need to be doing. I work 8-5 five days a week, so I have to either force myself up at 5:30am instead of 6am or do something post work. I'm just so tired. That's my goal this week, MAKE myself really get into exercising. Eating well is great, but only half the battle.

if you stick with it, the exercise will actually give you more energy in the long run.
the hard part is getting to that point.

Good & Evil
01-22-2007, 06:41 PM

One thing to keep in mind with cardio workouts, your body doesn't care what mode of aerobic exercise you do (cycling, walking, stairs, swimming, etc.) as long as you get your heart rate into its target heart rate.

It is also cumulative, meaning that if you do 10 minutes of walking in the morning, then 10 minutes in the afternoon, and the another 10 minutes in the evening, your body will get the same benefit as if you did 30 minutes of cardio straight. Keep in mind though that for those 10 minutes, you still have to get your heart rate up into its target heart rate.

220 - (your age) = Max heart rate
Target heart rate = 50% - 85% of max heart rate

Edit: I should mention the main benefit of doing cardio in small doses is to increase your cardiovascular strength. The stronger your cardiovascular system becomes, the easier it is for you to be able to do longer cardio workouts. The body begins to burn fat for energy at about 20 minutes of continous cardio exercise. The stronger your cardiovascular system, the longer you are able to do cardio workouts, the more fat you will burn.

Shannon Chenoweth
01-22-2007, 06:48 PM
That's interesting. Though, I can totally handle doing 30 minutes walking workouts. As long as I have my iPod that is. :)

saymama
01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
well, speaking of exercising, i just did 2 miles. .5 of which i ran. I've now concluded 2 things from the start off workout. 1. I actually do love to run and it's gonna be easier than i thought to get back into it. 2. I need new running shoes.

Jamie Howdeshell
01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
well, speaking of exercising, i just did 2 miles. .5 of which i ran. I've now concluded 2 things from the start off workout. 1. I actually do love to run and it's gonna be easier than i thought to get back into it. 2. I need new running shoes.

careful. if you're just starting to run with no recent training, there's a good possibility of shin splints or some similar ailment.

might be better to start off walking and let your body get into shape.

of course, if you have been running, ignore what i've said.

saymama
01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
careful. if you're just starting to run with no recent training, there's a good possibility of shin splints or some similar ailment.

might be better to start off walking and let your body get into shape.

of course, if you have been running, ignore what i've said.

thanks. i was running, but it's been a while. I did take it easy. the half a mile i did, was not done altogether. i did a few sprints. so out of 2 miles, i don't think that's pushing it. Now to just stop eating so much junk.

ChrisCollins
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
i've never liked those stupid charts. i used to weigh 205 in high school and i was in excellent shape. i ran 12.5 miles a week and had almost no fat on me.
according to those charts, i was clocking in at a 27 BMI, which is overweight.
that's bogus.

it doesn't take into account body type or anything. just weight and height. it's far too inaccurate.

I agree, but it's the same chart we use in the clinic when we record BMI. Most doctor's usually can't be bothered to do an actual test for BMI. BMI charts are just averages and obviously don't mean much to someone who has built a lot of muscle up from lifting weights or running long distances.

ChrisCollins
01-22-2007, 09:37 PM
That's interesting. Though, I can totally handle doing 30 minutes walking workouts. As long as I have my iPod that is. :)

My best advice is to start out slow. When I started I couldn't do more than 30 minutes at a time. I was doing the treadmill one night, the elliptical trainer another night, 4 nights a week. As you get into it you can start to slowy buildup to longer and longer times. If you try to throw yourself into exercise all at once you'll burn out pretty quickly and just get discouraged.

ChrisCollins
01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
if you stick with it, the exercise will actually give you more energy in the long run.
the hard part is getting to that point.

So true. Also when you start seeing the pounds come off you get addicted to it, and you actuallly want to work out instead of sleep (or in my case study).

batmanbooyah
01-22-2007, 10:00 PM
i started at what, 292? i think i'm still at 292 eventhough i've built noticeable muscle in my legs. and my pants feel a little more loose. my leg muscles grow pretty quickly.

Deej
01-23-2007, 04:51 AM
I am so pissed that I did not lose any weight this week!!! :mad:

I killed myself in the gym, 3 days of intense boxing and 2 days lifting/running!!!!

This totally depresses me.

Smokinblues
01-23-2007, 04:56 AM

I killed myself in the gym, 3 days of intense boxing and 2 days lifting/running!!!!

it's possible that you're gaining muscle. don't let the numbers bother you.

Deej
01-23-2007, 04:58 AM
it's possible that you're gaining muscle. don't let the numbers bother you.

This is typically why I dread the scale. And when I get upset, I tend to eat.

Deej
01-23-2007, 05:43 AM
I actually feel less bloated and my stomach seems flatter...I just want the freaking numbers to reflect it!

Smokinblues
01-23-2007, 05:51 AM
This is typically why I dread the scale. And when I get upset, I tend to eat.

as long as you're doing what you need to do the numbers will follow. day to day there are too many variables that can affect it to worry about.

Oeming
01-23-2007, 06:10 AM
I hate to brag (no I dont:) but I actually had to eat something fattening to slow my weight loss down. Ive lost 20 lbs since the start of the year! Thats too fast so I had some pizza and pasta for a day or two because it was a little freaky:) I still have about 10-15 lbs left, but I want to do it right.

Shannon Chenoweth
01-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Just weighed myself this morning and I lost another pound. Woo-hoo! Once I get under 200 I am going to be soooo happy. :)

Shannon Chenoweth
01-23-2007, 06:15 AM
My best advice is to start out slow. When I started I couldn't do more than 30 minutes at a time. I was doing the treadmill one night, the elliptical trainer another night, 4 nights a week. As you get into it you can start to slowy buildup to longer and longer times. If you try to throw yourself into exercise all at once you'll burn out pretty quickly and just get discouraged.

Oh I know. I am gradual in my walking. Sometimes I walk fast, other times I walk slower. As long as I stretch out at the beginning I'm good to go.

Shane W
01-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Because it kinda goes hand-in-hand.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=100854

Deej
01-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I hate to brag (no I dont:) but I actually had to eat something fattening to slow my weight loss down. Ive lost 20 lbs since the start of the year! Thats too fast so I had some pizza and pasta for a day or two because it was a little freaky:) I still have about 10-15 lbs left, but I want to do it right.

BASTARD!!!

Shane W
01-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Damnit, you switch to cocaine, didn't you?

Oeming
01-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Damnit, you switch to cocaine, didn't you?

Veggies and light meals through the day. I walk on my treadmil when I watch TV now, I think thats a big part of it!
And I only drink water and OJ in the mornings

I STILL HAVE BEER when im out though!

Shane W
01-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Veggies and light meals through the day. I walk on my treadmil when I watch TV now, I think thats a big part of it!
And I only drink water and OJ in the mornings

I STILL HAVE BEER when im out though!

I've started to phase out soda and switch to water. And I'm finding myself to be turning into a vegetarian.

And beer, sweet sweet beer. Sunday I went a tad overboard for the football games. Me and a buddy rang up a $130 bar tab in just beer. :Oops:

Oeming
01-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Soda is the mind killer dude:)

Save it for occasians, you know? I still have a cookie now and then, i just stopped having them for fucking MEALS:)

Shannon Chenoweth
01-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Soda is the mind killer dude:)

Save it for occasians, you know? I still have a cookie now and then, i just stopped having them for fucking MEALS:)

Man, I'm having trouble getting off soda. How did you do it? I know I can't just cold turkey it because it will give me headaches. I'm only drinking a cup a day really, but I need to get off totally.

Shane W
01-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Man, I'm having trouble getting off soda. How did you do it? I know I can't just cold turkey it because it will give me headaches. I'm only drinking a cup a day really, but I need to get off totally.

You stop drinking soda. That's the only secret really, and take some ibuprofin in the morning.

Shannon Chenoweth
01-23-2007, 07:14 AM
You stop drinking soda. That's the only secret really, and take some ibuprofin in the morning.

Ibuprofen does nothing for me. If and when I get a headache, I have to take Excedrin migraine.

Oeming
01-23-2007, 07:16 AM

Start with Soda ONLY with lunch, Dinner. Then only Dinner, then sup something like Ginger Ale or something with Cafeen then slow that down, but dont drag it out.!

kritty
01-23-2007, 08:39 AM
i quit soda too. i did drink 2 rootbeers this weekend (1 regular and 1 diet) and i realized i wasnt missing much. i would rather water with a squirt of lemon anyday.

i did cheat today. some weird lady came to fill out an application and she brought some damn donuts. i had great will power for about an hour, but then i gave in, and now i feel shitty about it. at least i feel bad enough about it the next time so i wont be so tempted.

just find alternatives to the soda, like sugar free koolaid, put lemon in your water etc. dont quit the soda completely, just gradually phase it out.

Jef UK
01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Question about diet sodas: I know that we don't know the long-term health effects of sugar substitutes, but otherwise, what are reasons for cutting out diet sodas from one's diet?

kritty
01-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Question about diet sodas: I know that we don't know the long-term health effects of sugar substitutes, but otherwise, what are reasons for cutting out diet sodas from one's diet?

anything with aspertaime (spelling?) is not supposed to be good for you. i think studies have shown that it may cause cancer. i still drink drinks that contain it though (almost all sugar free koolaids and such). i just tried to get all carbonated beverages out of my drinking habits.

kritty
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM

sorry i guess i should have read it thoroughly before i made my last statement

Jef UK
01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
sorry i guess i should have read it thoroughly before i made my last statement

No prob.

Anybody else?

ItsDLEVY
01-23-2007, 10:28 AM
No prob.

Anybody else?

I hear that carbonated beverages can fuck with how your body retains calcium, but I don't know specifics, and I suspect that's more of concern for women than men.

Jef UK
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I hear that carbonated beverages can fuck with how your body retains calcium, but I don't know specifics, and I suspect that's more of concern for women than men.

Yeah, I've been doing a little research, and I can't find many problems with my google-fu. At least in relation to weight gain.

DAVE
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
i've always heard that the sugar substitutes don't immediatly add calories, but eventually they do.

Shane W
01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
i've always heard that the sugar substitutes don't immediatly add calories, but eventually they do.

I'm not sure what that means exactly.

DAVE
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Think of the calories that the sugar substitutes add as deferred. Again, it's just what I heard.

saymama
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM

they still have caffiene and other chemicals. Caffiene is a diuretic and only tends to make you want to drink more soda. Try bottles of water with the single sugar free packets of lemonade and such. Then alternate a flavored water drink with water. You will eventually crave the water.

saymama
01-23-2007, 11:04 AM

what it means is that your body is being tricked into thinking it has sugar and eventually it will start to treat the food or drink the same as sugar. You will have cravings, sugar crashes, and fat storage just as you would with regular sugar.

Jef UK
01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I drink one soda a day.

Shane W
01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
what it means is that your body is being tricked into thinking it has sugar and eventually it will start to treat the food or drink the same as sugar. You will have cravings, sugar crashes, and fat storage just as you would with regular sugar.

Based on what? Sweetness is only a taste, not a chemical reaction to break down food.

saymama
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Based on what? Sweetness is only a taste, not a chemical reaction to break down food.

not sure, that's what i've read, i'll try to find an article on it.

okay, here's something, not really a scientific article, but you get the idea. not sure if it's true or not, but it makes sense. plus water is better anyway.

The myth of artificial sweeteners and weight loss

There are many different views in this matter, but a host of scientists agree that artificial sweeteners may interact with our body's sense of sugar satisfaction.

Some experts are now exploring the possibility that artificial sweeteners confuse our taste buds and all those brain measures of satiety upon which we base what we eat. Specifically, Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio have recently completed compilations of data that provided surprising results.

Fowler and her team studied more than 1500 people between the ages of 25 and 64, looking at whether each consumed regular or diet soft drinks. It was no surprise to find a correlation between the daily consumption of multiple cans of all soft drinks and obesity - which they did. But, as Fowler noted, "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks; their risk of obesity was even higher [than that of those drinking regular soft drinks]." In fact, Fowler found that for each can of diet soft drink consumed per day, the risk of obesity went up by 41 percent.

Other studies have found different variations, but a distinct pattern is emerging. Certain data indicate that the body learns to predict caloric intake by the taste and texture of certain foods. When artificial sweeteners are introduced into the mix, our body sends the appropriate sweet signals to the brain but never delivers the sugar punch.

here's the link to the article. it also has tons of other stuff.
http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/dietsoda.asp

like this

Breaking the diet soda habit

If you hardly ever drink soda or sweeten your beverages, I think it is fine -even preferable - to use real sugar or drink the occasional Coke. This can even be therapeutic if you have an upset stomach. If you must allow your children to have the occasional soda, I think the "real thing" is best here, too.

But, if you find you have a habit of reaching for a diet drink, you could be driven by the caffeine, or it could be a behavioral habit, the sort of thing where grabbing that soda is what you do when you stop to gas-up the car or take a break from work. But the physiological addiction to caffeine is very real, and habits can feed one another.

I encourage you to see your choice of beverages as an opportunity to tune in to your body. Chances are, if you have any degree of dependency on sugared or diet drinks, your body is sending you mixed signals and you react with mixed responses. So, the next time you reach for a soda, take a moment and think first: What can I drink to best serve my body's needs?

It may be time to make a transition to the best of all possible drinks: water. With the hectic schedule so many of us keep, it's possible that when you think you want a diet soda or sugary drink (or for that matter, an alcoholic beverage), you are simply thirsty.

Sometimes we forget how refreshing and satisfying a glass of cool water can be, particularly if your system is accustomed to drinks with all sorts of other ingredients. Water is also the key to weight loss. It not only hydrates all of the body's systems, but it cleanses the body of toxins. (In fact, it's probably flushing out some of the things left over from processing ingested artificial sweeteners!)

Water may not be all your body's asking for when you reach for that diet drink. Are you hungry? Hungry is okay - we all need to eat. Even if you are trying to lose weight or otherwise monitoring your calorie intake, when you are hungry a healthy body will tell you so, and you should not be afraid to listen. Many of my patients are surprised to find that when they eat more of the right foods, they lose weight.

noble
01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
The best reason to cut out diet sodas - they taste like hammered shit.

saymama
01-23-2007, 01:47 PM

as opposed to sculpted shit, which is the cats meow~

Schroedingers Cat
01-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm not in on this contest or whatever youse are doing but I have been watching my weight too.

I started on Jan 2nd and had lost 18 lbs as of Jan 18th.

I cut out: Alcohol, Soft Drinks & Snack Foods. I also started eating healthier foods and eating normal portions, instead of mega-portions.

I usually punk out after 3 weeks when I try to do this, so I am hoping I can keep it going this time.

I'm trying to lose 40 lbs by May 1st.

Jim

arthurloewenkamp
01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
265 boo

Shannon Chenoweth
01-23-2007, 03:43 PM

Yes, yes they do. I only drink regular coke. Diet Coke blows.

joespam
01-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Dude, I totally feel your pain:

Week 0: no weigh-in
Week 1: 225
Week 2: 220 (actually 219.5)
Week 3: 219.5

No weight loss at all. I worked out every day and stuck to my diet. Theoretically I probably added muscle and burned some fat, but not seeing the numbers go down is the reason I stopped weighing myself last time I went through a program.

I'm pretty sure I'm still losing fat; the pants feel looser and the belt is fighting me less and less. But when the scale doesn't back you up, you start to wonder if it's all in your head. *sigh*

Oh, and as promised (threatened), crappy phonecam pix:
Here's me halfway through week 1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/011207front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/011207side.jpg
And me last night:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/012307front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/012307side.jpg

Matt O'Keefe
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm too lazy to exercise to get healthy, I just stop eating crap for a week or two.

kritty
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm not in on this contest or whatever youse are doing but I have been watching my weight too.

I started on Jan 2nd and had lost 18 lbs as of Jan 18th.

I cut out: Alcohol, Soft Drinks & Snack Foods. I also started eating healthier foods and eating normal portions, instead of mega-portions.

I usually punk out after 3 weeks when I try to do this, so I am hoping I can keep it going this time.

I'm trying to lose 40 lbs by May 1st.

Jim

not a contest, we are just motivating each other, letting others know what is working /not working for us, answering questions...

so welcome and congrats so far!!

Feinbird
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Dude, I totally feel your pain:

Week 0: no weigh-in
Week 1: 225
Week 2: 220 (actually 219.5)
Week 3: 219.5

No weight loss at all. I worked out every day and stuck to my diet. Theoretically I probably added muscle and burned some fat, but not seeing the numbers go down is the reason I stopped weighing myself last time I went through a program.

I'm pretty sure I'm still losing fat; the pants feel looser and the belt is fighting me less and less. But when the scale doesn't back you up, you start to wonder if it's all in your head. *sigh*

Oh, and as promised (threatened), crappy phonecam pix:
Here's me halfway through week 1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/011207front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/011207side.jpg
And me last night:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/012307front.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/diet%202007/012307side.jpg

Unfortunately plateaus are part of the process. You've actually lost an AVERAGE of 2 pounds a week, which is perfect and a healthy way to lose weight. I've lost 20 pounds since November. I lost only 4 of those pounds in December. In that month I ate healthy, with some minor holiday slip-ups, and exercised 4-5 days a week. I had weeks where I gained weight. But in the end, 10 weeks-20 pounds. It all averaged out. So don't get discouraged. Patience is soooo key (I've learned).

joespam
01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately plateaus are part of the process. You've actually lost an AVERAGE of 2 pounds a week, which is perfect and a healthy way to lose weight. I've lost 20 pounds since November. I lost only 4 of those pounds in December. In that month I ate healthy, with some minor holiday slip-ups, and exercised 4-5 days a week. I had weeks where I gained weight. But in the end, 10 weeks-20 pounds. It all averaged out. So don't get discouraged. Patience is soooo key (I've learned).Oh, I know. I've done this before; still haven't learned the trick to keeping it off, or rather the trick to maintaining discipline for a good long time, but I've been here before. That's why I don't usually weigh myself - as long as my waist size drops and I can hitch my belt closed tighter every few days or so - I can feel progress.

I know if I stick with it until the end of it (week 12 is it?), I'm gonna get where I wanna be.

I just like milestones a lot.

But thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to next week's weigh-in. I got up this morning and could visibly tell I'd lost some gut.

ItsDLEVY
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
At the grocery store this week, I noticed that Martha Stewart's check-out counter digest cookbook magazine, Everyday Food (http://www.everydayfoodmag.com/), is doing a special "light" issue ("Heavy on the Flavor!" the cover guarantees). Anyway, I picked it up, and one of the features is a week's worth of dinners all built on similar flavors so you can use leftovers from one to make the next. They even give you a shopping list. All five recipes look good (and fairly easy), so I'm trying it. I've done three of the five recipes already and they're all delicious, healthy, and filling. Best thing is that since they're designed for a family of four, but I'm just a single guy, I'm banking in the freezer a month's worth of lunches.

kritty
01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
At the grocery store this week, I noticed that Martha Stewart's check-out counter digest cookbook magazine, Everyday Food (http://www.everydayfoodmag.com/), is doing a special "light" issue ("Heavy on the Flavor!" the cover guarantees). Anyway, I picked it up, and one of the features is a week's worth of dinners all built on similar flavors so you can use leftovers from one to make the next. They even give you a shopping list. All five recipes looks good (and fairly easy), so I'm trying it. I've done three of the five recipes already and they're all delicious, healthy, and filling. Best thing is that since they're designed for a family of four, but I'm just a single guy, I'm banking in the freezer a month's worth of lunches.

can you send me those recipes? i am interested!

ItsDLEVY
01-27-2007, 04:12 PM
can you send me those recipes? i am interested!

Martha has most of them up on her website:

Spice-Rubbed Turkey Breast with Sweet Potatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe5490008&contentGroup=EDF&layout=edf&rsc=ns2006_m1), served with Sauteed Escarole (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe2592&search=true&resultNo=9) (This recipe isn't exactly the same one as in the magazine - but if you cut out the lemon and the butter, it's pretty close.) - 278 Calories per serving

Turkey with Two Salads (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe5490010&contentGroup=EDF&layout=edf&rsc=ns2006_r3) (uses leftover turkey from the first recipe) - 489 Calories per serving

Chunky Turkey Vegetable Soup (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe5560034&contentGroup=EDF&layout=edf&rsc=ns2006_r1) (ditto) - 343 Calories per serving

There's also a roast beef I'm making on Monday night, and then a beef & mango wrap which I guess will be Tuesday's lunch. Haven't searched for those recipes online yet because I haven't made them yet. (I'm keeping a food diary on livejournal, so I'm linking to recipes when I mention them.)

Len Snark
01-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Ugh! I got derailed over the last two weeks! Freakin' loaded breakfast burrito + large coke! Back to the bicycle commute next week...

DAVE
01-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Starting late, as of last Wednesday, my starting weight was 272 lbs. I'll weigh myself on Wednesday, the 31st.