PDA

View Full Version : Bought/Thought 1/17/07

artimoff
01-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Spider-man #104 - If you liked parts 1-7 you'll love part 8. Bags out does hims self again & MJ fans should be cheering.

Ultimate X-Men #79 - I can't believe Kirlman had Collosus say " I will break you." to one of the wild pack. It amazes me that people want Kirkman to take over U S-M after Bendis when this is they type of stuff he writes.

52 Week 37 - It's like deja-vu after reading the spoiler thread yesterday. I could have saved $2.50. Glad to see both Buddy & Booster alive again.

Ryudo
01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
:hulk:

GODDAMMIT!

Jef UK
01-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Spidey: nice resolution. I still think Dr. Magnetopus is a stupid twist.

Ultimate X-Men: this comic is bad.

52: very good issue. The funeral and its follow up was haunting. Anybody decode the message in DC Nation yet?

artimoff
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
:hulk:

GODDAMMIT!

Did you type one up? Sorry. :Oops:

Ryudo
01-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Did you type one up? Sorry. :Oops:

Eh. Maybe next week. Good thing I looked before I posted. :p

adamgreenberger
01-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I can't wait to get my comics this week...I have some guys doing some work on my house and as soon as they are done...I am on my way

artimoff
01-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Aquaman #48 - Prety interesting. I love that much of it reads like fantasy instead of super-heroes.

gliderpilotgirl
01-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll read Sensational later, but for now:
USM 104: It did feel a touch anticlimatic. and it was a shame to see Doc Parker, Tarantula and Kaine all dead , and the reappearance of the MJ-Goblin was cause for rage, but seeing Peter be honest about his feelings for MJ and tells her he loves her was worth every angst-inducing issue before this. Very nice issue.

A.Huerta
01-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Spider-man #104 - If you liked parts 1-7 you'll love part 8. Bags out does hims self again & MJ fans should be cheering.

Ultimate X-Men #79 - I can't believe Kirlman had Collosus say " I will break you." to one of the wild pack. It amazes me that people want Kirkman to take over U S-M after Bendis when this is they type of stuff he writes.

52 Week 37 - It's like deja-vu after reading the spoiler thread yesterday. I could have saved $2.50. Glad to see both Buddy & Booster alive again.

That's awesome. :lol:

KarlH
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Y was great as always.

I also picked Essential Luke Cage after reading the "How Bendis should write Dr. Doom and Luke Cage" thread.

Clayton James
01-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Green Lantern: Pick of the Week. It was cool seeing the Justice League in action finally (though wtf? they havent done SHIT in their own mag). A fun read as always, but it probably wouldnt have done as well on a better week. 9/10

USM: Meh, the last two issues of this series have kinda left me cold. I mean did we really need an entire issue telling thefake history of fake Richard Parker CLONECLONECLONE? Also, its nice to know if MAGNETO ever rears his head in this book all it will take to beat him will be Parker and girl-clone. Because we all know that spider power trumps unexplained magnetism any day of the week. Meh. 6/10

FF: I liked it. Not back up to Waid levels just yet but it was a good tie-in that allowed Reed to explain his stance and give Johnny some good screen time. Alot of it seemed like damage control from the (reportedly) terrible JMS issues. Its also one of the only tie-ins I've read that is sympathetic to the Pro-Reg side (except ofcourse the wonderful Ironman tie-ins). One qualm: How is Reed's explaination of the Mathmatics behind the Registration Act any different then His conversation with Sue in CW #2? I guess McDuffie was just retconning that (reportedly) Lame "my uncle went to jail" story from a few issues ago. Oh well. I like this taste of McDuffie and hope that once Pelliter (McKone should have stayed at DC) gets on the mag this will ascend to levels of great and fun(ness). 8/10

THWIP!
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I picked up the last 2 issues of The Walking Dead - My god was issue 33 intense. So much fucked up shit but the Governor deserved it.

I picked up

100 Bullets:Book 10
The new Y
Last two issues on Runaways and Ex Machina, and Punisher War Journal

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
52: very good issue. The funeral and its follow up was haunting. Anybody decode the message in DC Nation yet?

Workin on it.

Ryan F
01-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Two great weeks for the price of one:

Fantastic Four #542 - I read this whole issue thinking "JMS has finally come into his own on FF. He finally wrote an FF issue worthy of his talents at the end of his run." Then, I found out it was McDuffie. This was a bit scattershot, as McDuffie deals with all of the odd stuff that JMS has been doing, but it still works. The characters are spot on. Overconfident-of-his-brilliance Reed makes way more sense than scared-of-his-fruity-uncle's-fate Reed (and I loved the Foundation reference). A very promising start. 9.5/10 Best of this week.

She-Hulk #15 - this was also great fun. A great concept, well-executed by Slott. Good to see Jen come into her own against a major baddie, and the SHIELD/Hulkbuster stuff was nice. I do hope we get back to the lawfirm though. 9/10

Y the Last Man #53 - This is back to the Y I know and love. The action stuff in Japan was way too over-the-top, but this was much more what I expect from the book. 9/10

Belated capsules on last week:

Runaways - Great. 10/10

Thunderbolts #110 - Odd. Intriguing, but I'm not convinced yet. 7/10

New X-Men #34 - I'm finally on the NXM bandwagon. This is one kickass action story they're in the middle of. I enjoy Paco Medina's art. 9/10

Agents of Atlas #6 - This was fucking brilliant. Huge, awesome twist. Set-up for greatness. I need an ongoing. 10/10 Best of both weeks.

JoeE
01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Y The Last Man #53 - A very pleasant surprise. I was not expecting to see this character again but I'm definitely happy to. These character one-and-dones are some of the best comics BKV has ever written. 9/10.

Ultimate Spider-Man #104 - Bagley was on fire this issue with Doc Ock. I can see why this one was a bit late relative to other Bagley issues. Not quite the highmark of the earlier Clone Saga issues, but still good. Also,

I think Peter will stay with Kitty. I think him finally confessing his feelings for MJ is a red herring. 9/10.

Spider-Man Reign #2: Have not read this in full yet, but come on, HYPNO HUSTLER.

Infinity to the Infinitieth power/10.

Billie
01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Green Lantern #16-Johns is on a role.This book has it all if you want a solid cape read.

Jono
01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Anyone else read Spiderman:Riegn? I've never seen a more blatant rip off, er sorry, "homage" to Dark Knight Returns. Even the art is DKR-ish. I normally really like Kaare Andrews' stuff, but it's so blatant and transparent I don't think I'll be reading any more of it.

I was looking through it with an employee at my LCS, and we were laughing at what a total rip it was, and the guy jokingly said, "yeah, but where's the shot of him in sillouete (sp?) with the lightning in the background?", and sure enough, two pages later there it was.

Shame on whoever came up with this...

Cuckoo
01-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Avoid UXM like a plague, this book just continues to go downhill which baffles me. Kirkman can write superpowered teens, I mean look at Invincible. This just plain sucks though.

Dave S.
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Highlander #3 (horrible. I'm really considering dropping the series)
She-Hulk #15 ( I <3 Slott. But I want it back to superhuman law.)
Spider-man Reign 1 & 2 (It's so-so. I'll buy the rest. Art is iffy, dialogue is good)
New Universal 1 & 2 (haven't read yet)
Testament TPB 1 & 2 ( haven't read yet)

ItsDLEVY
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Testament TPB 1 & 2 ( haven't read yet)

I'm curious - why buy both of them at once? Are you that sure you're going to like it?

(I dropped it after the first arc.)

Dave S.
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm curious - why buy both of them at once? Are you that sure you're going to like it?

No, but I hate to drop stuff after the first arc, so I bought both. That way, I have to give it a shot for a bit longer.

Pat Shatner
01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
52-Week 37: So good. Kudos to everyone that guessed right on the first reveal in the book. As for the second reveal on the last couple of pages? Man...that was fucking brilliant. One of my favorite issues of the series so far.

Has anyone taken a crack at deciphering the "code" in DiDio's column thing at the back?

Hock
01-17-2007, 05:30 PM
USM #104

I really hope this isn't the end of the Peter Kitty relationship. I found that interesting and hoping it would be explored in a little more depth. Hopefully his confession in this issue will end up like "I love you like a sister" or "I love you, and I always will, but I'm not in Love with you." Or maybe he decides to keep being Spider-man and MJ won't have him. Something to Keep Kitty around, something better then the crap I just suggested.

Billie
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM

(I dropped it after the first arc.)

I tried to like Testament but I dropped it after #4.

Vonn Hennigar
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
52-Week 37: So good. Kudos to everyone that guessed right on the first reveal in the book. As for the second reveal on the last couple of pages? Man...that was fucking brilliant. One of my favorite issues of the series so far.

Has anyone taken a crack at deciphering the "code" in DiDio's column thing at the back?

This column often hints at many essential facts, but some secrets are ever important to conceal in our retention of the element of surprise. Therefore, above all objections, our one foremost thought is finally recognized and imaginatively coming to fruition. Right here this stands before you, the heart thumping meaning to what waits at our awe-inspired ending is about to see light. So that there is hardly any confusion, a code was transcribed, one easily translated as a harbinger of facts essential to those multitudes who have unilaterally followed the lives of our tenacious heroes from introduction to their various adventures and efforts. We have rallied around these said heroes, whose existence is the stuff of legend. This column's prime information is to let anyone who loves 52 have essential information to x-ecute a very informed opinion to select simply all the clues for summation.

So there you have it, the secret of 52. All you need to know about the stunning conclusion to our groundbreaking series is stated clearly in the paragraph above. Of course it doesn't touch upon the heartwrenching conclusion to Ralph Dibny's journey, the ramifications of World War Three or the ultimate fate of the space team, but it does give you an essential key to the direction of the DC Universe for the foreseeable future and where many future stories lie.

Now, there's no need to thank me; after all, we are all part of the DC Nation and we should always share information like this when it becomes available. If we can't speak freely and openly, who can?

Okay, okay. Maybe I didn't actually speak that openly, and figuring out the code that deciphers the secret might come at some cost (both in time spent and brain cells), but there is a secret in there and it's a doozy. It might take some time but I know you'll figure it out. I need a favor, though: once you do find out the answer, be careful who you let know. Information like this should not be thrown around. In the wrong hands, who knows what might happen. And if you run into the writers Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, or editor Michael Siglain, don't let them know you found out from me. I promised them I'd never tell, and I'd never hear the end of it.

Thanks.

To be continued

Starting with the first words letter T every other 3rd word's first letter and it spells out...The Secret To Fifty Two Is The Multiverse Still Exists.

SAVETHEB
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Starting with the first words letter T every other 3rd word's first letter and it spells out...The Secret To Fifty Two Is The Multiverse Still Exists.[/QUOTE]

why dont you just tell us?

Scotty
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
USM #104

I really hope this isn't the end of the Peter Kitty relationship. I found that interesting and hoping it would be explored in a little more depth. Hopefully his confession in this issue will end up like "I love you like a sister" or "I love you, and I always will, but I'm not in Love with you." Or maybe he decides to keep being Spider-man and MJ won't have him. Something to Keep Kitty around, something better then the crap I just suggested.

I 100% agree with you on this.

Scotty
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Y The Last Man #53 by far one of the best issues in this amazing series.

Blake Sims
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
52 Week 37- Pretty good issue. The reveals made sense, I liked the explanation of them.

Thunderbolts #110- That was pretty damn good. I really enjoyed it.

American Virgin Volume 1: Head - pretty good series. Loved the art and the coloring. Cant wait to read more.

Hock
01-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm officially dropping Ultimate X-men.

Am I the only one that finds Kirkman hit or miss? I eithr love it or hate it, no middle ground.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Am I the only one that finds Kirkman hit or miss? I eithr love it or hate it, no middle ground.

Nope, you're not the only one. I dropped UXM five-or-so issues ago.

Hock
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. I dropped UXM five-or-so issues ago.

This last one crossed the line. Not so much crossed it, as took a giant leap over it. You can almost make out the line with a pair of binoculars.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-17-2007, 09:40 PM
This last one crossed the line. Not so much crossed it, as took a giant leap over it. You can almost make out the line with a pair of binoculars.

Heh, I flipped through this at the store (just to see what happened). And yeah, blegh.

The death was way overdone, with something like the last half of the book dealing with the few seconds of aftermath. Course I could be off, as I did just flip through.

tdaniel
01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Reign #2
Spirit #2
Powers #22

Nice symmetry.

I'm going to be in the minority here I think because Reign is one of the best mini's I've read in a long time. Call it rip-off, call it homage, who cares, I'm enjoying the story; the dialogue and art perfectly compliment each other and the pacing is dead perfect. Not a slow moment, wasted panel or idea. Excellent parable for our backward world - where even the "great responsiblity" catch phrase is flipped, and the characters, despite being in this alternate landscape manage to remain true to their roots and history. And in defense of the "rip-off" assertions Kaare is on record as declaring this work as directly inspired by Miller's DK work. And as noted with issue #1 reviews - he even has a talking head named Miller Carlson. So go with the story! Forget the other stuff and just read it!

Scotty
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm keeping Ultimate X-Men but I'm not happy with it currently.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm keeping Ultimate X-Men but I'm not happy with it currently.

I'm waiting till I hear good things, then I'll jump back onboard.

Jono
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
And in defense of the "rip-off" assertions Kaare is on record as declaring this work as directly inspired by Miller's DK work. And as noted with issue #1 reviews - he even has a talking head named Miller Carlson. So go with the story! Forget the other stuff and just read it!

In my book, Kaare being open about it doesn't make it ok. Is he giving the money he's making off this to Frank Miller? Is Marvel giving their profits to DC? It's just creatively bankrupt and wrong. it's great that he's so inspired by DKR, but why not do your own thing instead of the comic equivalent of a cover song? And at least with cover songs the orginal artist gets paid...

skinnyrunaway
01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Y The Last Man #53 by far one of the best issues in this amazing series.

YES. The whole time I'm reading and thinking, "This is just one of the most amazing things that will ever be published." This issue was easily my favorite of the character standalones, and it says something that its a character that we haven't seen since the second issue and only for a few pages then.

This issue was about everything the series stands for. Liberation, hope, death, and all that other good stuff that Vaughan has managed to fit into his masterpiece.

God this was a good issue.

Knightspider
01-17-2007, 10:41 PM

dorp ux-men after bkv left, but i felt like i should have droped it after millar or bendis cause i really havn't been happy with it since

Humphrey_Lee
01-17-2007, 11:07 PM

You're not, but at the same time UXM is the only thing of his I've ever dropped so I'd say he's mostly hit.

Marcdachamp
01-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Cable and Deadpool- PICK OF THE WEEK! I love this series. It's fun, it's crazy, and there's plenty of action. It's kind of funny how good Nicieza can be when he sets aside the annoying cliches of the industry and just tells a fun story. Oh, and the cover? I may enjoy Reilly Brown, but Pat Zircher is the perfect artist for this book. 9/10

Fantastic Four- McDuffie already started? Just like that? That's pretty random, Marvel. Hell, I didn't know JMS didn't write this issue until I read someone else's review! Maybe that's a good thing. Both writers clearly get the characters. That's a very positive sign for Post Civil War, which I'm now VERY interested in. 8/10

Sensational Spider-Man- Sacasa is really doing a great job on this title. The man lives and breathes continuity. I just wish he was better at starting off runs on titles. Between the first arc of this book and the first arc of MK4, I'm sure many fans have some negative opinions of him. The fact is, he's very good at taking smaller characters and doing great things. While I'm very unsure about whether I'll still be reading Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man in the next few months, this book definitly has my interest. 8/10

Transformers Spotlight: Ultra Magnus- These one-shots are hit or miss. Sometimes I walk away pleased, while others leave me wondering where my money went. Luckily, this is the latter. While I still think these would be much better in the main book, I can kind of see why they aren't. While Escalation is about an "Ultimate" take on the characters, the spotlight books are closer to the old school UK comics. I loved seeing Swindle show up. While most of the combiners were pretty generic, he was always a lot of fun. He also raises an interesting conflict. Do the ends always justify the means? How many times can you break the rules in pursuit of the greater good? How many times before it comes back to bite you? 8/10

She-Hulk- I loved the opening. Just goes to show that the internet isn't the only one aware of Stark's hypocrisy. I can already tell I'm going to love this arc. While I'm definitly going to want to see the book get back into the courtroom, this seems like a great prelude to World War Hulk. Agent Cheesecake? Slott, you rule. 8/10

Ultimate Spider-Man- The Good: First off, there's some great action. Otto gets his butt kicked by Peter and Jessica and it's wonderfully rendered by Bagley. Second, most of the Clone saga is over and done in 9 issues without dragging things out, but still leaving some interesting things to pick up on. The bad: One of those 9 issues was spent on a false history. That's a lot of story for a character that was a clone. Also, I really hope Bendis doesn't throw Peter back with MJ already. Kitty is one of the best things to happen to Ultimate Spider-Man. 7/10

Humphrey_Lee
01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
YES. The whole time I'm reading and thinking, "This is just one of the most amazing things that will ever be published." This issue was easily my favorite of the character standalones, and it says something that its a character that we haven't seen since the second issue and only for a few pages then.

This issue was about everything the series stands for. Liberation, hope, death, and all that other good stuff that Vaughan has managed to fit into his masterpiece.

God this was a good issue.

I agree. This was probably the only thing I REALLY enjoyed out of my stack, even though I thought The Spirit and Birds of Prey were solid B grade fun as before. It was really just a pretty par week otherwise. And one more USM and I'm officially done with that book. It just does nothing for me anymore.

modungo
01-18-2007, 05:41 AM
I 100% agree with you on this.

me too.

tdaniel
01-18-2007, 07:58 AM
It's just creatively bankrupt and wrong. it's great that he's so inspired by DKR, but why not do your own thing instead of the comic equivalent of a cover song? And at least with cover songs the orginal artist gets paid...

You've never read Eisner/Miller have you? If you have, you'd have seen Miller's pages contrasted against Eisner's work. Some of his early DD work and later Sin City work are almost direct lifts from Eisner's.

The point being, everyone has their creative heroes and they adopt their style, tone, stories even, and then make them their own until at some point, their own voice emerges.

Does Bruce Timm pay Kirby?
Does Bendis pay Stan Lee, David Mamet, etc?
Does Mack pay Miller, Sienkewicz?
Does Oeming pay Timm?

And, he is doing his own thing, remember his story is not yet finished.

Ben
01-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Y The Last Man #53 - A very pleasant surprise. I was not expecting to see this character again but I'm definitely happy to. These character one-and-dones are some of the best comics BKV has ever written. 9/10.I was glad to see them again acknowledge that all mammals with a Y chromosome died meaning Dr. Mann's dad's explanation for the cause can't be right

Adrian B AWESOME
01-18-2007, 08:43 AM
I was glad to see them again acknowledge that all mammals with a Y chromosome died meaning Dr. Mann's dad's explanation for the cause can't be right
Ultimatly, I think many will be disappointed at the end of the series, because there will never be a true explanation of what caused the gendercide.

And frankly, it's really not that important.

Ryan F
01-18-2007, 09:12 AM
She-Hulk- I loved the opening. Just goes to show that the internet isn't the only one aware of Stark's hypocrisy. I can already tell I'm going to love this arc. While I'm definitly going to want to see the book get back into the courtroom, this seems like a great prelude to World War Hulk. Agent Cheesecake? Slott, you rule. 8/10

I was going to mention Agent Cheesecake. That was great.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Ultimatly, I think many will be disappointed at the end of the series, because there will never be a true explanation of what caused the gendercide.

And frankly, it's really not that important.

I don't think it should be revealed. Because the answer can never be as good as the question.

Adrian B AWESOME
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't think it should be revealed. Because the answer can never be as good as the question.

Kind of. I think it's mainly a catalyst. The reasoning behind will make people focus on that instead of what is important, which is Yorick and 355.

skinnyrunaway
01-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Kind of. I think it's mainly a catalyst. The reasoning behind will make people focus on that instead of what is important, which is Yorick and 355.

Cannot wait for their relationship to come to a head. It's gonna be fantastic to see Yorick choose between the woman he loved when this all started and the one he's learned to love since then.

I actually hope we see even more of Waverly but I know that will probably never happen.

Josh!
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
USM- There's still some loose ends-- Aunt May, Gwen, but I was pretty happy with how this arc ended, especially Peter seemingly back with MJ-- but damn, I liked him and Kitty. But MJ's better for him, anyways. Curious to see what they'll do with Spider-Woman and the Scorpion, but we probably won't be seeing them for a while.

Peter'll probably decide that he wants to keep his powers, because too many crazies know who he is-- but remember, Nick Fury WAS looking for a way to strip him of his powers-- so there could be some good conflict there, down the road.

Ben's line about the "Nerd Twins" really got me. That was genius. 9/10

UXM was a big stinky turd, but it's not unreadable like some of Claremont's later Uncanny books.

As for why I'm sticking with it, I think he's writing a larger story here. Too many unanswered questions, and his work on Invincible and Walking Dead--tells me that that there's more going on here.
Still, it really blew.

I, however, loved the art. 3/10, for the art

Y was fantastic-- Vaughan can take a throw-away character and make me care about her. 9/10

Spider-Man: Reign is all kinds of cool. I'll avoid the homage/rip off debate and stick to the fact that I'm really enjoying this book. Although it was unclear where the Ock legs came from.

UltimateFactor
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
UXM: Booo! I was never much of a banwagon guy and I always like to look for the good in even the stuff people hate. I don't hate this, but I'll be damned if I pickup another issue unless somthing really kick ass happens. This shit sucked ass.

She Hulk and Cat Woman are my comfort titles. Cat woman more than She Hulk these days, but they are both up there. Cat Woman is at that level where I'll always enjoy it no matter what. It's laid back, works at it's own pace and if somthing totally awsome happens in the book it's a pleasant surprise. She Hulk is like that, but I do kinda wish they'd go back to Jen being a lawyer. Not that her kicking the Abomination's ass wasn't cool as hell.

Gillis
01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man— Good ending. Nice fight and teamwork between Peter and Jessica. Fury had me rolling. This book is by far one of the most steady and consistent I read.

Fantastic Four—This was pretty good. I liked JMS, but I was still planning on dropping the book for financial reasons. Now I’m not so sure. McDuffie did a good job and this was by far the most realistic explanation for Reed taking a Pro-Reg side.

52—I’m enjoying this. Had Supernova picked out for a while, just not the how and why. Poor Animal Man. Dude can’t catch a break.

Ultimate X-Men—dropped. This just sucks. Really. And Kirkman can be so good. And having Colossus quote freaking Ivan Drago!!?? C’mon!!!!

Sensational Spidey—This is another one that keeps surprising me. The writing is a real good quality. It seems like a lot of thought has gone into characterization and personality. There’s a lot of continuity at play here and I respect that. This is one of the most underrated books on shelves.

Spider-Man: Reign—I liked the 1st issue. Not a great 2nd one, but still solid. I can get past the direct similarities to DKR, although it is pretty ridiculous how head on the comparison can be.

Y-The Last Man—I’ll miss this. More than I realize now. BKV has crafted so many great characters the past several years. This is another book that doesn’t get the credit (ie sales) that it really should.

Exiles—I have every issue of this series. I’ve been collecting it since Day 1. Now, that streak may be in jeopardy. I was dreading Claremont taking over. I really was. And it was as bad, if not worse, thank I was expecting. Characterization seemed off. Dialogue was rancid. I love these characters and I’m afraid everything that has built up over the last, what, 6 years, is going to be lost. Hey, I think Psylocke is hot, but seriously, she’s a lame character.

Constant Reader
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, I bought books, but I forgot to read them last night. (I watched THE ILLUSIONIST instead - good movie.)

"Constant Reader" my ass...

CR

Gavin
01-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Kabuk Reflections #7 Took me a while to get this. Not as good as the last couple, I would have prefered more comic art over the book, but still good stuff. 8/10

Zombies vs. Robots #2 Pretty fun stuff. Took a slightly weird turn at the end by introducing the Amazons but I enjoyed it well enough. Great art by Ashley Wood. I'll pick up the sequel series when it comes out. 8/10

Dusty
01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Exiles #90 With Claremont coming aborad, I picked up Exiles again. My only other time was when I blind bought the first World Tour TPB because I'm a fan of Pelletier's artwork. The art, as expected, was strong, but what's his status, Exiles or Fantastic Four? I was hoping Bagley'd get the FF job. The story itself is...okay. Nothing great, and a little messy and incoherent. There's potential for good things here. The first issue didn't reach it. 7/10

She Hulk #15 A MAJOR disappointment for me. Two reasons. Number one, Burchet is just no doing it. His Abomination was laughable, his She-Hulk isn't sexy, and the style just isn't very strong. Imagine if John Byrne was drawing this story, or Paull Pelletier. She-Hulk should be treated to one of the best artists in the stables, being that she's their #1 solo female character. Andrea Di Vito should be put on the series. The second reason was the way Slott made the Abomination act completely dumb and out of character, and made She-Hulk a low class whore. Shame on you, Dan. :-x 4/10

Fantastic Four #542 A pretty decent issue, minus the mediocrity of the art. McDuffie deserves a chance, and I hope he delivers. I wouldn't call this issue anything *great*, but it was a nice job. 8/10

Last Week

Thunderbolts #110 Besides the stupidy of having Venom and Bullseye being part of such a thing, and the government giving any kind of deal that would give Norman Osborne power at his fingertips... I quite enjoyed the first issue, and really liked Deodato's art. Something could be made of this. It could go either way. 8/10

James Patrick
01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Wow. It seems pretty unanomous on Ultimate X-men, but noone has stated what they don't like about it. Everyone says it's bad, it sucks, so much so that I'm curious as to what makes everyone not like it since I dont' read it. I always check this thread to see what to pick up and what not to, but some reasons would be cool.

A.Huerta
01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Wow. It seems pretty unanomous on Ultimate X-men, but noone has stated what they don't like about it. Everyone says it's bad, it sucks, so much so that I'm curious as to what makes everyone not like it since I dont' read it. I always check this thread to see what to pick up and what not to, but some reasons would be cool.

I'm curious myself. Weird theres no details on why it sucks.

HomerGator
01-18-2007, 09:44 PM
At the risk of being booed and having trash thrown at me, I rather liked it....

It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, either. There were some cool moments, even if I think Ben Olliver is terrible at action scenes...

Jono
01-19-2007, 04:00 AM
You've never read Eisner/Miller have you? If you have, you'd have seen Miller's pages contrasted against Eisner's work. Some of his early DD work and later Sin City work are almost direct lifts from Eisner's.

The point being, everyone has their creative heroes and they adopt their style, tone, stories even, and then make them their own until at some point, their own voice emerges.

Does Bruce Timm pay Kirby?
Does Bendis pay Stan Lee, David Mamet, etc?
Does Mack pay Miller, Sienkewicz?
Does Oeming pay Timm?

And, he is doing his own thing, remember his story is not yet finished.

It's finished for me. I just can't enjoy it for it's own merits, the DKR influence has overpowered the story.

as for the influenced paying their inspirator, those guys at least took it and did something else with it. Timm took Kirby's style, mixed it with animation, and used it in a cartoon. Oeming took Timm's style, dirtied it up a bit, and applied it to adult-oriented crime comics. Andrews took a specific plot, story elements, and art style from one comic and used it in the exact same way, in the exact same genre. It's not a carbon copy, but it's too close for my tastes.

But hey, to each his own...

SteveZegers
01-19-2007, 04:46 AM
52 Week #37 $2.50 – Very, very good. I was surprised that the big reveal was right on the cover, but no big deal. Great ending.

Green Lantern Vol 4 #16 $2.99 – Now that a cool-looking Justice League! Another really good issue. My favorite part was the page with Alan and Hal. Beautiful.

Helmet Of Fate Detective Chimp #1 $2.99 – Review Thread.

Shadowpact #9 $2.99 – Take one of my favorite books, add the Demon… Yah! Another fun issue. I wonder how long it takes to write all the rhymes.

Spirit Vol 6 #2 $2.99 – The titles pages in this series are really great. You get a big old double page “dame”. Really enjoyed this.

Superman Emperor Joker TP $14.99 – Forgot how much fun this was. It’s crazy as hell, but a good story with some really nice art. And a little guest appearance by the Legion of Superpets. Totally forgot about that.

Y The Last Man #53 $2.99 – Really cool to take a look at a minor supporting from so many issues ago. Interesting stuff with the rats. No idea where this is going.

Fantastic Four Vol 3 #542 $2.99 – Wow, someone remembered that there are kids involved here! Nice. And since leaving the team, does Sue just hang around the house invisible? It’s decent stuff I guess. Problem is, the heroes tarnished by Civil War are still tarnished.

Ultimate Spider-Man #104 Regular Mark Bagley Cover $3.99 – Just so big and epic but filled with real emotion. Great payoff to the series. Feel a bit bad for Kitty, but I always wanted MJ to be back in Peter’s life. That’s what the whole series has been about for me.

Gillis
01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
With Ultimate X-Men, there's a lot wrong. For starters, the stories lately have just not been that interesting. The concepts themselves sound interesting but when it's finally put on paper, things just aren't turning out well. It also seems like Kirkman has put an emphasis on Ultimizing as many second and third tier X-Men as possible. No one was screaming for Cable or Bishop, let alone the little "X-Force" team that appeared.

The characterization has also seemed off. Xavier has always seemed a little shady in Ultimate but lately he's been turned into an immature cock. It's like everyone is pissed off and whiny.

The art has been okay, but I have to agree that the action scenes have not been very good. At times, it's way too hard to figure out who is who and what's going on. I just think that this creative team wasn't the best choice for such a high profile book. Kirkman can do great things. We all know this. Oliver's art on other types of projects would probably be excellent. It's just not clicking here.

I just wanted to give a little explanation as to why I'm not liking Ultimate X-Men here. I went back and looked at all the posts and, yeah, everyone is critical but not giving reasons. Just my two cents.

Garra
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
52 week 37
- only 15 more weeks to go! Thank goodness because although this story isnt horrible by any means it certainly isnt anything special and I dont think it is living up to all the hype that surrounded it at the beginning. I'm only still reading it because I already bought over half the series and I may as well get the whole damn series now.

Conan #36
- One of the weaker issues Truman has put out so far. Cover art and interior art were neither to my liking. Cant wait for Cary to return and whe he does he is also taking over cover duty which will be fantastic. Still a good read from one of the best monthly comics out there.

UXmen #78
- O.K. I just read this today and every since Wed. I have been reading about how so many poeple disliked this issue. I thought it was pretty good over all. Not sure why so many peeps arent feeling Kirkman on this book. For once in an ultimate book we are getting some brand new ideas thrown our way, instead of just minor tweaks to the way it happened in the 616. This is new and different and for that alone I enjoy it. I particularly loved the ending and I can only pray that it is how it looks and stays that way for a long, long, long time. (of course one day he would be back even if it is as it seems) This issue and this book since Kirkman has taken over is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Sensational Spider-Man #34 BOOK OF THE WEEK
-o.k. people it is time to stand up and take notice if you have not done so already of this creative team on this book. Honestly for the last 4 or 5 months this book could have been a book of the week, but it just keeps on getting better and us Spider-man fans have soemthing to really look forward to. Out of all the Spider-Man books for the last several months this has been the best one imo. I never heard of Roberto Aguirre Sacasa before he got on this book, nor almost anyone else on the creative team (granted I dont keep up with writers and such as much as most people here) but these guys are doing some damn fine work. I loved this issue, such a cool change of pace, and something alittle different from what we have seen before. This book is really delivering and is in full stride right now.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
With Ultimate X-Men, there's a lot wrong. For starters, the stories lately have just not been that interesting. The concepts themselves sound interesting but when it's finally put on paper, things just aren't turning out well. It also seems like Kirkman has put an emphasis on Ultimizing as many second and third tier X-Men as possible. No one was screaming for Cable or Bishop, let alone the little "X-Force" team that appeared.

The characterization has also seemed off. Xavier has always seemed a little shady in Ultimate but lately he's been turned into an immature cock. It's like everyone is pissed off and whiny.

The art has been okay, but I have to agree that the action scenes have not been very good. At times, it's way too hard to figure out who is who and what's going on. I just think that this creative team wasn't the best choice for such a high profile book. Kirkman can do great things. We all know this. Oliver's art on other types of projects would probably be excellent. It's just not clicking here.

I just wanted to give a little explanation as to why I'm not liking Ultimate X-Men here. I went back and looked at all the posts and, yeah, everyone is critical but not giving reasons. Just my two cents.

Who was on the "X-Force" team? Just curious.

Knightspider
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
what has been happening in kirkmans run in UXM, i droped before i read a issue of his

same thing with UFF, left with millar

James Patrick
01-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks a lot! That really fleshes out things.

Garra
01-19-2007, 04:06 PM

I think the art has hurt the book more than the writing imo. I like that Kirkman is attempting to do some new stuff in the ultimate universe for the xmen instead of just the same ol same ol.

Alot of the stories he is telling has been hurt some by the art for some of the reasons you pointed out above.

A.Huerta
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I think the art has hurt the book more than the writing imo. I like that Kirkman is attempting to do some new stuff in the ultimate universe for the xmen instead of just the same ol same ol.

Alot of the stories he is telling has been hurt some by the art for some of the reasons you pointed out above.

I noticed people complained about UXM being the same ol' X-men again but then when Kirkman started switchin' it up, readers were complaining about it being to different. :-?

artimoff
01-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Who was on the "X-Force" team? Just curious.

It was cable's wild pack. Domino, Grizley & such.

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
It was cable's wild pack. Domino, Grizley & such.

Ah. Thanks.

Vonn Hennigar
01-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Ben Oliver's stuff looks pretty good to me :?

Then again i'm basing it on a few images and flip-throughs (I need to get caught up on my Ultimate X-Men HC's pronto).

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/ultXm78.jpg

Cuckoo
01-20-2007, 07:12 AM
FF, Cable Deadpool, & Exiles were all amazing.

McDuffie had an extremely strong start of FF with this issue. I really enjoyed the sequences with Ben & Johnny.

Cable & Deadpool is one of the most consistently entertaining books on the market. The only other book out there that rivals it in terms of sheer funniness would be Nextwave. While I like Brown, I wish Zircher would come back. I really enjoyed the Deadpool and Taskmaster fight. Deadpool fought him with his arms and legs handcuffed.

Exiles was also pretty good. The only real gripe I had was near the end. I thought Sabertooth was a better fighter than that. Getting stabbed by Psylocke. Art was pretty good. Claremont should do wonders with this book.

Ultimate X-Men was pretty bad this week. This arc started out pretty good, ,but petered off towards the end. I'll probably stay with it though, just to see what happens.

HomerGator
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
This week I grabbed a bunch of new stuff, and a few older ones that were just sitting in the ol' pull box...

52 week 37- Yay!! I actually didn't see you-know-who being Supernova, but I sure am glad he is. Plus,Buddy's alive!! :D I really liked this issue, and the origin of Firestorm at the end was pretty well done, considering how damn confusing Firestorm can be.

Blade 3- I dropped this book with this issue. I dig the stories all right, but I just can't get into Howard Chaykin's art. I know a lot of people really like him, but his style just isn't for me. Too bad, because I like Blade a lot...

Sensational Spider-Man 34- I really like this book, and I think Aguirre-Sacasa is a fantastic writer whose style suits Spider-Man very well. In this issue, not only do we get the Rhino, but we get more of the Black Cat and Puma (!!). Another really solid issue.

Wolverine 49- For a fill-in issue between creative teams, I was pretty happy with this issue. Rob Williams has some real promise as a writer, and I really dug the pencils of Laurence Campbell; they reminded me of Lee Weeks' work. Bit that stood out to me: "Feel weird fightin' people smaller than me. I think I LIKE it."

Ghost Rider 7- I really like the idea behind this book, and I'm always excited to check out Richard Corben's art, but this issue just didn't do much for me. I thought the way Johnny Blaze was killed was a bit weak. Hoping for better things next issue.

Ultimate X-Men 78- Whoa! Didn't see the ending coming... I thought this was a decent issue on the whole, but I've gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Ben Olliver on this book.

X-Men: First Class 5- Thor + original X-Men = happy me :D

Ultimate Spider-Man 104- Holy crap! The clone saga has been fucking crazy since the first issue, and it really hasn't slowed down even a little... Bendis is really sending Bags out on top (I know he's still got a bit left to do, but damn).

Fantastic Four 542- This was my favorite book this week, actually. First off, the Adi Granov cover featuring the Human Torch is SWEET. Seriously, one of my favorite covers in years. I wasn't sure what to expect from McDuffie on this title, but in one issue he did better than JMS did in almost any of his (there might be two issues or so in his run that were better, IMO). If McDuffie can keep it up with the new team roster, this book will be pretty exciting.

masigl4179
01-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I'm late and I miss next weeks because the funds are oh so tight but I'm really pleased with my top five picks for last week. 11 picks overall.
11)Ultimate X-men#78- Um, I'm just indifferent, although I have to admit that the ending was a little out there(i.e. the death of Professor X) Will it stick? In an Ultimate universe where Ultimate Cable is an older version of Wolverine who knows?
10) Code#1- I gotta support Black Comics, but that goes double for a black christian comic. I gotta admit the premise of a mysterious Christian agent for God is intriguing. Let's see where this goes.
9) Ghost Rider#7- I don't necessarily get what happened but I liked the ending of the this 2 part story of the death/murder of Johnny Blaze a lot better than the beginning. Still, what really happened and what's really going on?
8. She-Hulk#15- This is still a fun book and I like the direction they are going in with She-Hulk as an agent of SHIELD thanks to Civil War in the Planet without a Hulk storyline. Also, She-Hulk gave it up to SHIELD Agent Clay Quartermain?!? Yep, she did.
7) The Helmet of Fate: Detective Chimp#1- I read the original Day of Vengeance(or whatever it was called) story that Bill Willingham wrote that introduced ShadowPact and I liked it but not enough for me to start reading ShadowPact. However, Detective Chimp was the breakout character in that story so I'm happy to see him in his own story that explored an interesting concept. If all the Helmet of Fate stories are this good I might just buy the rest of them.
6) Green Lantern#16- I can't really knock this issue, because unlike earlier issues of Green Lantern there is a lot of action, and it didn't take long for it to come out.Also, we get to the see the new Justice League of America in action as well. Too bad, that Hal's new love interest seems to have been murdered this issue.
5) Exiles#90- So, after 89 issues, the father of some of the greatest X-men stories of time, Chris Claremont takes over the helm. I hope he won't kill this title but I have to admit that I although I found the flow of the story lacking at some times there is a lot of promise in these pages.
4) Fantastic Four#542- Wow, Dwayne McDuffie had a really good premiere as the writer of this title, my only complaint is that he has to sift through existing story/plot lines that J. Michael Strazynski left unresolved. Still, I'm happy that the brother was able to knock his first issue out the box.
3) Angel:Auld Lang Syne- Yo, if you were ever a fan of the Angel television series, especially the episodes where he and Spike traded blows then this is the issue for you. One of the best fights I've ever seen in comics hands down.
2) 52 Week 37- Booster Gold is alive, and he was Supernova! I thought that might be a possibility but I couldn't explain the powers which this issue did. Also, the funeral for Animal Man took a wild and unexpected turn because after they left his body, he came back to life! 52 is back on top again.
1) Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs. Nighthawk#1- This actually came out the week before and I already knew the plot from other reviews, but the fact that a comic book writer decided to expose his readers to the situation in Darfur is admirable. Oh, the fights were off the chain as well, but you can tell that just by looking at the cover.